1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!! warmoth precision P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedLeg, Oct 26, 2013.

1. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Greetings all,

Well here is my first warmoth project. It is a mahogany P bass body with a rosewood J bass neck. It weighs in around 10.2 lbs. It has all hipshot hardware. The pickups are a DiMarzio Area P/J set (which sound incredible I must say) paired with a Creative Audio Redeemer circuit wired vol vol tone. So while it does take a 9v battery, I still consider this bass 99% passive sounding. If this circuit is good enough for Bluesman Vintage, it is good enough for me! I may wire up a push push pot to defeat the redeemer circuit. A push push pot is on the way for an S-1 switch. The inspiration for this build was the lack of a P bass and I like the gibson color scheme. Mr. Sparkle is there because I too am disrespectful toward dirt and this is no place for loafers! Plus I felt an all rosewood neck at a store here in tokyo and I fell in love with the feel. Everyone is right about the velvety feel of naked rosewood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The headstock will get painted (or inlaid) in the near future with "日本製" which means "made in japan"

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It's beautiful ! & yeah that Area p/j set sounds fantastic ! The Area p of that set the DP250 is soooo good I put 3 of them in builds now . HNBD

3. i love that bass! beautiful!

4. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Classy! Nice work.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's nice congrats.

6. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Very nice! The sticker says it all…………………I think.:help:

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Very nice and classy looking. Congrats!

8. I, too, like the looks of this instrument.

9. Tom F

Tom F

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Wow! Really nice work. Swap the bridge J pack up for a second precision pickup and it would be my dream bass.

Is that a Warmoth color? If so which one is it?

10. That's really nice. You don't often see mahogany bass bodies like you do guitars.

11. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    It is a warmoth color called trans red. I was going for a very gibson look. It isnt too heavy and the sound isnt very dark at all. It is really right in the middle as far as bright vs dark goes. High mids are definitly present, highs are rolled off a bit, lows are full. I gotta say i got lucky with this build. It could have been a neck diving boat anchor with no definition.

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That, Red-san, is one absolutely beautiful bass guitar. Love it and play it to the max!

13. Tom F

Tom F

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Thanks! Works perfect over the mahogany.

Even better that it looks *and* sounds great. Enjoy it in good health.

14. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Nice bass! Definitely has that Gibson look.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Nice clean assembly and great choice of woods. This would compare with anything Fender would put out, "special edition" 60th Anniv, etc etc. Not saying it's custom shop level (Warmoth ships necks ultimately benefit from fret level crown and polish) but it's a great example of how nice an instrument you can get by going this route. Really well conceived project!

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i always wished my highway one looked like that, great bass

17. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Man, I dig this alot...nice work!

18. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    My wife has bought me a PLEK service in tokyo for my birthday. 6230 stainless frets are gonna be lightning quick after the PLEK next week! Really tossing the idea of flats or rounds. So far it is rounds, but that too could change.

19. Anthony Fury

Anthony Fury

Jan 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Mr. Sparkle!! Really wonderful color you've got going there. Love me some Precision + block inlays!

20. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    I like the Mr Sparkle sticker.

Good looking bass as well, the trans red is a nice finish and the black guard fits it perfectly. I'd like to make a Warmoth P with a Musicman pickup at some point.