1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD..Welcome to the family P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darkhorse1962, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Finally added what "might" be the last piece of the puzzle.

An American Standard Precision kinda rounds out the tone spectrum nicely

IMG_20170121_094552781_zpsmu4pqxrx.

Ghastly, Crusher47, Oddly and 10 others like this.
  2. Oneud

Oneud

Apr 16, 2016
    Ankh-Morpork
    Nice collection. You really have all of your basses covered. The new P looks very classy.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congrats on your new instrument! and a nice collection! :thumbsup:

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Love the Dano. Who's signature is that?

5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Nice! Beauty of a bass. To me that does look like a post 2006 Highway 1 Precision bass because of the badass II (NOT string through body?) and the 70s logo but these are awesome basses too (I just got a 2005 myself). Congratulations on the new bass!

Edit: they're still awesome american made basses, especially for the money imo

6. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Acoustic bass? :D Don't forget one of those hollow, no-pickup on the front, piezo dealies such as the Carvin AC40 or the new Ibanez

that's two more!

EDIT: U-bass, three more!

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Great collection.
    You need a Ric to truly round it out.

Boristhespyder and Matthew_84 like this.
  8. My thoughts also. The logo on the Am Std is different from the one in the pic, and Am Std doesn't have the BadassII. The finish also looks a bit matte, not high gloss like the Am Std. All in all it looks like a MkII Highway 1 to me, I've got one just like it. Great bass! In my opinion better than the Am Std.

jamersonburton likes this.
  9. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Agreed! I've owned a 2011 MIA standard P and now a 2005 highway 1 and the highway beats it on almost all fronts, save the rolled fingerboard edges imo.

I know the post 2006 models have graphite reinforced necks but I'm wondering if the mkI and mkII versions have the same neck profile.

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think that is what it is - Badass, Satin Finish, 70's logo = Highway 1 (2nd gen). The sure-fire way to tell is to look at the back - an American Standard will have ferrules and the H1 will not. I'm not sure about machine heads on the second gen, but the first gen HOne had the same ones as used on MIM Standards, as well as a skunk stripe that is not present on the American Standard from the same period. (Plus, I'm not sure there was an American Standard at the same time as the Highway series - weren't they renamed to American Series at that time?)

IMO, even though that is a step down the product line from the time period, it is a step up in terms of being a player. My 1st gen Highway One from 2003 is a player - it always gets the call over a 1996 American Standard. The American Standard is #3 on my P bass list, with a tie between my Highway One and my Mendel P for the P bass I like best. And just to be clear, I hold mid-to-late 90's American Standard basses in very high regard (I also have '97 Jazz V and a '98 Jazz).

11. Am Std has been in continuous production from the mid 80's (I believe it vas '86) until now when it's being replaced by the Am Pro series. So the Am Std and the HW1:s were being produced at the same time.

By the way, I have yet to find an Am Std P-bass that I like better than my HW1. They are absolutely killer instruments!

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    This is not correct, although I have seen Fender trying to rewrite history this was for some unknown reason. The American Standard series was discontinued in the early 2000's and replaced by the American Series. I believe the American standard series returned in 2007/2008.

Edit: The American Series was introduced as a replacement to the American Standard Series at NAMM in the summer of 2000. The Highway series was around from 2003 to 2011, so I do stand corrected - From 2008-2011, both the American Standards and Highway 1's were made at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  13. Strangely enough it's former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee. He is a bass player and it was a gift from him when I helped with a radio show he was doing.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  14. This is why I love this forum, you learn something new almost every time you log on. Thank you for enlightening me!

15. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Yes. Nicely. Very classy group there. It'd be fun to try them all out!