1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: well 1/2 NBD anyway, Stambaugh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Well I've had the neck (built by Chris Stambaugh) for a while but the body is new, so it's a half-new bass. ;)

It's also a half-Stammy. Neck is maple with Birdseye FB and satin finish, 6230 fretwire. Body is a Warmoth Deluxe 5 J; alder with quilted maple top and red dye. Hardware is Hipshot...tuners are Ultralites and the bridge a style A, 17mm spacing.

Electronics are Villex NVT, passive system with 3-band EQ. Internal design is a "reversed" P type setup (B & E side closer to bridge, A/D/G closer to the neck). Had to come up with my own layout (I like having the volumes and EQ separated) since Warmoth doesn't have a 5-control template. Looks a bit odd, but actually works really well. It's easy to tell at a glance what-is-what, which (for me anyway) can be tricky with 5 knobs all next to each other.

It's my main 5er for non-jazz gigs, got my other Stammy for that. :bassist:

NVT is a very cool system that really deserves more attention...hopefully it will someday. Very even and near active-level blending but with the organic quality of passive pickups. Very cool, info here if you wanna check it out.

Attached Files:

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Looks great I love it top two are volume bottom three are eq.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Wasn't sure if this was a question or statement, but yeah...first two controls are vol/vol and bottom 3 T/M/B. Building another 5'er with this setup, I really dig it for basses with 3 band EQ.