1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD & what I have learned about my 2002 MIM P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dusqkee, Dec 23, 2017.

1. dusqkee

dusqkee

Jan 29, 2011
    NY
    New bass day! (yesterday actually) Picked up this awesome Am. Pro. P-bass as an in the studio replacement for my '02 MIM P-bass (which is a bit buzzy in some places) here on TB from @starmann. The MIM has been my primary bass since I bought it 15 years ago and it has taken lots of abuse and mishandling over the years. It also has had some mods done in the form of replacement Custom Shop '62 pickups and the BA bridge II. Not to mention the awesome road worn finish I put on it. ;)

Today I experienced first hand what I already knew in my head. My MIM P-bass is a very special instrument. It plays, feels, and sounds amazing. It is irreplaceable and I am so happy to have it.

I spent a lot of time A/Bing the two basses and at first I was a little harsh on the Am. Pro. The Am. Pro has a chunkier Neck, higher "sharper" frets, and mellower pick ups. Initially a bit of turn off.

However after many hours of playing, I am finding that the Am. Pro is super awesome! I am already used to the new neck and find it inspiring me to find new ways to play well known compositions. The body is about a full pound lighter than the MIM and has more sustain. This thing is a funk monster, I can stop slapping it into funky oblivion. In the end, the pickups aren't actually all that different, although I still prefer the '62s, I have to admit that these sound great and are a bit brighter.

When I put this in front on my '69 Sunn 200s it just shines through those JBL's.

Negatives to the MIM in comparison: Heavier/BIGGER body. Less stiff neck. Otherwise, this bass rips!

Anywho.... Totally excited to get this bass into the studio and into rotation with my bands!

Cheers!

TL;DR P-bass's just kick ass. :)

Thanks Starmann!

Attached Files:

Wolfenstein666 and nattiep like this.
  2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, Fender makes a pretty good bass, and P basses rock from all years... Congrats on the new one, OP - there is nothing like an American Fender bass...

3. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool, Congrats!