1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! (Why would the previous owner DO this?!?!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, May 17, 2011.

1. Hey TB,

So, i had a spring-cleaning freakout this past weekend. I had (for me) too many bass-related 'things' that never got used.

So, with the idea to just really make room and pick up a few sets of strings, i went to my local used place.

I ended up walking out with a good chunk of cash, 3 sets of strings, a small amp i can use with headphones.... and a new bass!

I know... i didn't want or need a new bass, but while i was being appraised, a suh-weet looking 90's Mexi Jazz bass caught my eye. It's price was reduced to a do-able range thanks to a missing volume knob (which i had) and... the bridge and neck pups had been swapped!

As such, the pole pieces didn't line up, and the neck pup was wedged beneath the pickguard... which made the output rather low.

So, after a half-hour with a soldering iron, i have a damn-fine playing MiM Jazz bass!!

Pics later...

...but WHY would someone do such a strange/drastic 'mod', that essentially made the bass unplayable?? :confused:

2. Many instrument owners are both whimsical and ignorant. Their ignorance is your gain.

3. gera799

gera799

Jul 6, 2009
    I imagine the owner wanted to use the stock parts with another bass

4. Hey, no complaints there!

It's also got a nice lil' BadAss II bridge on it that was worth a hefty part of the asking price, alone!

...unfortunatly they have some freak-sized screws to ajust the saddles :/

Haha, so to adjust them i have to take the string off and screw/unscrew the screws by hand to adjust the saddle height!

5. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Ignorance has ruined many a fine instrument. They probably got the grand idea, that improperly replacing the pickups would make it sound better. Good thing they never got busy on it with a drill or router. Cant wait to see pics.