1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD with a problem. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wvbass, Sep 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM.

1. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I’d been thinking about getting a short scale bass for a while. I finally decided that I wanted one of the Junior Jets with a single pickup. I found one on Reverb that was an old Korean model (!!!), and made a deal with the seller.

Once I got the bass, it took me about two seconds to see a problem. The fingerboard was separating from the neck at the nut. The seller didn’t disclose this. But, the thing is, his ad was accurate. The bass was in playable condition, as described. In fact, after a little truss adjustment, it played pretty well. I had noticed the damage immediately, but maybe the seller wasn’t as observant? If you didn't know what you were looking at, it just looked like the paint was chipping off at the edge of the fingerboard.
    10a63ef1-7f13-4813-84cc-3a357e6b43ed_zpsxufvoab9.

I decided to see if I could fix it. I looked to me like the two pieces of wood just needed glued back together. I documented the repair here:

Now that it is fixed, I’m pretty happy with it. I didn’t notify the seller of a problem, but I haven’t left feedback for him either. I’m keeping the bass, and I don’t plan to use this as a negotiating tactic to try to get a partial refund. As far as I'm concerned the transaction is complete.

My question is, what kind of feedback do I leave about the seller?

3D635A19-71AC-445F-87CE-020AECC58B33_zpsf0xykcel.
    474192EB-16AD-4ED7-BE7F-02B1F64DF917_zpsvvp2uwvo.
    632C5DCD-3A90-4C46-9CC9-5A0E3D00A37B_zpsunhzydl8.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    Rocker47, Helix, mikeyjm2 and 8 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not sure it's safe to assume the seller knew there was an issue. In such cases, where I don't want to over-glowing-review it, if the description was accurate (as you described, "playable"), I put a simple "item as described".

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would assume the seller didn’t notice it and proceed from there. The first pic is from an angle that I don’t often view my basses from, and at a glance it appears to be a minor cosmetic issue, which you found out happens to be a little more than that.

alaskaleftybass and wvbass like this.
  4. That's a flaw that warrants closer inspection and understanding, especially when you go to describe and sell something. Seller could easily have investigated by putting a pin into those gaps to verify this was beyond cosmetic and the beginnings of a separation.

It's great you were able to inject some glue and clamp her down for the fix. I'd say both you and the seller pulled one off. Not in the ideal way, but in an all's well that ends well way.

That being the case, if she's a stable player and you DIY'd it with little to no major investment, I'd give the guy a pass, with an asterisk. *I'd let him know about my experience while leaving it open-ended and non-judgmental with no expectations attached. He should be made aware, just in case he knew there was a flaw he failed to reveal, he didn't really get away with it and might not get so lucky if he tries something like that in future transactions.

I have done this with slightly sketchy transactions where I as the buyer had to put in a little extra effort to make everything right. One guy even volunteered a token refund for my trouble, which in your case I would gladly accept.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 12:42 PM
  5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The overwhelming majority of bass owners really don't pay attention to little details of their instruments. Unless something causes them a real problem. I don't know if anyone has compiled the numbers, but I wonder how many people in the US currently own an electric bass? A hundred thousand? A few hundred thousand? Probably something in that range. Out of them, maybe a thousand would even notice the separation crack as you did, let alone do something to repair it. You, and other interested readers here on TB, are a small percentage of the bass owning population.

When I see these stories about why didn't the seller reveal this??, I have to smirk. Rarely is it malicious dishonesty. Most people don't pay attention to details of things they own, unless the details cause a problem with the function. We're the abnormal ones, who fuss about these things.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think we are on the same page here. I'm coming to a decision about what feedback to leave the seller.

Mike Bigelow and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I had one of these tuned and strung Piccolo. Wasn't really my cup o char but was fun and sounded great. Hopefully you are happy with your resolution.:)

wvbass likes this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    What kind of feedback do you leave? None; discretion being the better part of valor.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    My original intent was to leave no feedback. After the input from this thread, though, I thought about the fact that the seller gave me very fair price on an already inexpensive instrument, he shipped it quickly, and the bass was essentially in the condition he described. So, I left 5-star feedback with this message:

"I really like this bass. Mike was really quick to get it into my hands. Thanks!"​

I also sent the seller a friendly private message.

10. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Music gear is easy.
    My friends that are mechanics deal with this behavioral concept daily and it sucks the love of cars right out of them.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I think the seller did notice it, really how can you not when you play the bass- your fingers will feel it. However it's possible the seller didn't realize what it was that was happening and chalked it up to a little bit of inherent shoddy workmanship on the bass. I really don't think any deception was intended.

Edit: I think your response was a good one.

Aqualung60 and jd56hawk like this.
  12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    "Seller is a no-good, toad-lickin', fart-sniffin', orange-peel-eating, toe-sucking snake in the grass!"

or, what saabfender said above.

13. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    If there was no mention/photos in the ad - e.g. “some varnish flaking at end of neck (see photos)”. Then your feedback ought to say, “The bass arrived with some (correctable) damage/flaws which were not disclosed in the advert.”

There’s no excuse for “Oh I didn’t notice it when I put up the ad.” It’s the sellers responsibility to ensure that the advert properly describes the article and to check the article thoroughly before posting or they should expect a return or at least a reference in the feedback.

walking Bass, TuneIn, ariwax and 6 others like this.
  14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    FWIW, before I fixed it, I played it at a rehearsal. I could hear the wood creak if I was a little heavy-handed fretting the first fret on the G string. Even so, I'm not sure this problem had to be fixed. Me being me, I had to fix it, but I'm not sure it was essential to the well being of the bass.

15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    You've got me thinking. Maybe I should be more suspicious of ads that say that more pictures are available upon request. Hmm.

This is why I hate feedback. When someone says something bad (or just not completely positive), there rarely is enough information to decide if you've got a bad seller or a difficult customer. IME, difficult customers are way more plentiful than bad sellers.

16. FenderB

FenderB Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Positive.

wvbass likes this.
  17. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    You made the right decision! :thumbsup:

Aqualung60, 4sight and wvbass like this.
  18. Well done, you handled that like a good dude :thumbsup:

instrumentalist and hintz like this.
  19. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Any indication that it happened in shipping? I once shipped a Epi Revoli in pristine condition and it was received in this condition.
    07012007146. 07012007141.

musicman666 and Jazzish like this.
  20. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    If my experience is less than optimal I don't leave feedback. If I can detect for certain that the seller is dishonest and might rook someone else I'll leave a negative review and state the reasons for it. Luckily, you were able to handle the problem yourself. Not everyone is as handy. Unless you're certain the seller was acting in bad faith, it can't hurt to send a private message about the issue so he'll know not to overlook something that should have been caught and mentioned in the listing.