1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD...with a twist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArcLite, Jun 3, 2012.

1. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    So I brought home this AWESOME sounding SB14 today. It was on clearance at GC for $468 so I had to jump on it. Thing is, I thought the tan-ish/brownish color of the pickguard was just something goofy with the plastic covering. However, I've spent 10 minutes trying to find an edge to lift up and peel and I've all but concluded there is no plastic on this pickguard and somehow this axe left the factory with this "burnt" looking PG. Everything else on the guitar looks great. But what the heck, anyone ever seen this or am I being a complete moron about something here?

DSC00872.gif

2. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Your pick guard appears to have been aged/yellowed/faded by exposure to sun light... UV rays.

3. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    Figured it was something weird like that given how it left it white under the sticker and under the neck and PU. Not a clue how this would happen to a new guitar.

So then, where's a good spot to buy a new PG? Will any standard Stringray PG work on these?

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I guess you can now say you own a Sunburned Ray.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool bass. Am wanting a MM either a SR or a Big Al s-s-s.

Love the color. Congrats!

6. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks guys! After being used to the sound of an unmodified Fender J, this thing sounds incredibly thick and punchy. I love it! I'd actually consider leaving the goofy pickguard if it hadn't left the circle from the sticker. Otherwise the colors actually look alright together.

Aside from the option of buying a new PG, are they pretty easy to paint? Any special kind of paint recommended?

7. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Was it hanging in a window? Looks like it got a farmers tan.

8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    First, roasted necks..... Now, UV faded relic pickguards... What next?

This just in:

Ernie Ball has joined forces with Larry Hartke to bring you blowtorched finishes!

9. Must'a been on display in the window of a store somewhere.

As far as painting a PG - some are like Teflon and the paint will either roll off when you spray it on, or fall off in sheets after it dries - if it dries.

Others like some of the new Krylon 'Plastic" paints - and they are labeled as being good for plastics. Bad thing though is that you are not going to get to put multiple coats on them (the Krylon) unless it's done within 10 minutes or so of the previous coat.

In all cases, a PG painted is rife with surface failures and they chip or fall off. I've seen it and it ain't nice.

Of course, if you want a good PG for Metal -------------

10. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Leave it as is. It's got a cool story behind it now and some definite character. No other 'Ray will have the same pickguard as that. Definitely a sweet buy and even sweeter tale. All she needs now is a name. :p

11. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    Maybe I will just leave it :p Looking on Ebay, a new one is $40. I don't think I dislike it that much. It certainly would be unique. As for a name, maybe "Spot"? :D

12. Spot works.

Why not get a second PG and put that one away for a while? Couldn't hurt!

despicable-me-17-6-10-kc.jpg

13. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    Okay, I remedied things to my liking. Took a thick vinyl sticker of a pin-up girl off one of my other guitars that never leaves the house and put her over the spot so the tanned PG looks more natural and it has some sexy yet classy flair.

14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    pics, or it hasn't happened!

15. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    True, I should have known better. Purists probably will not like this at all but it's growing on me already. I like the girl better than the spot :)

DSC00873.gif

DSC00874.gif

And yes, my carpet is hideous and dirty :p

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I was going to recommend you try cleaning it (perhaps a "magic eraser" would do the trick).

17. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    Eraser doesn't seem to penetrate enough. My one other thought, that is, if I decide I want it to look proper and white, is see if the machinists at my shop would be able to plane off an ultra-thin layer off the top, enough to skim all the brown off. Again, though, I may just leave it in current configuration.

18. Call the CS dept @ Praxis. They may send you another one. PIC_0284.jpg

19. ArcLite

ArcLite

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks, Low. I certainly will try that first if I decide I want a new one.

Just spent the last couple hours running through some of my favorites from our set list and holy crap, THIS is exactly the bass tone I have been searching for since I switched from the ol' six string. Absolutely happy with my purchase and would recommend this thing to anyone who wants a fat, but well defined tone.