1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD with G&L content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eaaa410, Apr 16, 2010.

1. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    I picked up this one a few days ago. It's a 1986 G&L SB-1. it isn't in mint condition, more like played but not abused. Faded white to cream, 3-bolt neck, bullet truss rod adjust, MFD pickup. Does '86 qualify as vintage yet?;)

photo-21.
    photo-23.
    photo-22.

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Well, that G&L, with it's early-version headstock, kinda DOES qualify. I'd love to find one of those!

Black "crinkle-finsh" hardware?...Bi-cut (no skunk stripe) neck? It's a keeper!

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    With that headstock it should be earlier than 86, IIRC 84 was the last year of that headstock.

Sweet bass by the way.

4. "kinda"? Man, that is STONE VINTAGE. GREAT FIND! I so much prefer the pre-lawsuit headstocks.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Nice grab. That's one sexy G&L.

6. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Nice!

7. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    The serial number dates it to 1986 according to the G&L website. Here are a few more that show some of the wear. The G&L factory sticker is still on the neck plate!:p
    photo-26.
    photo-25.
    photo-24.

8. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    The serial numbers are not remotely accurate in dating a G&L.

Here is the info on the headstock from G&L.

My L1k is an 86 according to the neck pocket yet the serial number places it as an 87 or 88.

It also has the factory sticker.

P1000685.

But it has the second gen headstock.

P1000683.

9. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the info! I also read there is a date stamp in the neck pocket but I really don't want to remove it to check. Maybe some day.