1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! (with pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, May 13, 2010.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    My band has been experimenting with A standard tuning, and I just could not get my Fender 4-string P bass to handle it and keep its tone the way I liked. (love the P bass though for anything C standard and above!)

So I was in need of a cheap 5'er.

Ordered a Brice HXB-405 - the stock photo being: http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb405natb.html

Today, UPS brought me this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quick review so far-

WOWOWOWOW! How can they sell a bass like this for less than 300 bucks?!

Finish is -beautiful-...dark blood red with the grain clearly visible. Pictures do not do it justice. Not a flaw on the finish either.

Neck/Frets/Nut: Fret job is very good. No sharp edges, no high frets that I've found so far. Nice and even. Neck has a very comfortable profile, and the action was like butter right out of the box. The Nut is a -little- sloppy, but it doesn't need to be yanked or anything, and I can always replace that later very easy. 6 Bolts for the neck, so I am going to hope this thing is very stable.

Fit and finish is very very good. Neck pocket is nice and tight, bridge is sturdy and well made, tuners are fine.

Set up was surprisingly good. Intonation is a little off on the B string, but I can fix that in about 2 minutes. So far, other than that, the set up seems just fine as is. Nice, medium-low action.

Strings are eh, but not as bad as what comes on an SX standard. I'll change them out after this weekend probably.

Weight - less than my P bass. Rondo lists it as a 9 pound bass but I'm guessing it's around 8. Sits very comfortably, no neck dive or anything atrocious like that.

Tone - I haven't been wanting an active bass in a while, but the only "cheap" 5'er alternative was an SX Jazz, and I just didn't want a Jazz. So I just figured "what the heck, for 280 bucks if it's not great I'll just send it back for a refund and get something else, no big deal.

The tone on this in passive mode...it has active and passive... is incredible. It's deep without being flat, and punchy without sounding too clanky. The B string is all there, nothing weak about it. I easily dialed in a tone I liked in about 3 minutes of meddling with my eq pedal, my amp and the bass. The active mode is a bit weak, but that's fine - I don't plan on using the active mode anyway.

This thing seriously sounds better than my Ibanez ATK at this point :/ and it was a lot easier to get the tone I wanted from it. It's not quite a P-bass, but it's one of the best feeling and sounding 5'ers I've played in a long time.

I am, so far, very pleased. We will see how she holds up in practice this weekend.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool! I've always wondered about these. Nice score

3. IMHO, if you took off the headstock logo, it'd look way classier. That having been said, that's a d*mn gorgeous bass...even if it has one more string than I'd need :p

4. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I do wish the logo was in black, to look better on the headstock... but I won't worry too much about it. I've definitely had and seen worse logos on the head X)

5. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Noice! :bassist:

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wow! For $300.00, it looks well-made. Hope it works out for you.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Kewl, sounds like you got a very good bass for $300. Maybe upgrade the preamp later so you have useful active mode.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Congrats, that one is pretty damn awesome.