1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! (With special Stinglay guest)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockdoc11, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    So this 2002-ish Fender Sting Precision (based on Sting's 55 P bass) showed up on craigslist.

I play in a British Invasion tribute band, and thought its vintage-y looks would be perfect. It's very clean, near-mint. The seller was the first owner. He thought he wanted to play bass and picked this up in 2002, but never got into it. One of those "back of the closet" wonders.

Got it home, and cleaned and polished it up a bit. The wood grain is very attractive, and the glossy finish is stunning.

I restrung it with DR Nickel Lo-Riders. With them, the tone is surprisingly loud, powerful, and raw, with tons of upper end sizzle. In fact, I think I'm going to put flatwounds on it today to tone it down a bit.

No problems with compensation with the two piece bridge saddles.

As far as the Stinglay, yeah well . . .

All in all, a very happy NBD!

Sting body.JPG

2. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Nice catch. They are nice basses. I took the retro route with mine. Pickup and bridge covers and an aged pearloid pickguard that goes well with the 2-color burst and also tones down that stark white of the original. Mine wears TI Jazz flats strings.

The Stinglay never bothered me. Unless someone is familiar with the model, no one in an audience has any idea what it is.

Fender Sting Artist-02.JPG

rockdoc11 and Guinness20 like this.
  3. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Wow! That looks great!