1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD @ work - Carvin AC40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My name is Gorn Captain and I'm a compulsive bass shopper.

Anyway....I found this cheap on GC's used site. It was apparently cheap cuz of cosmetic issues and a missing knob, which they replaced before shipping. I used to have the fretless that I sold cuz I stink at fretless. Then I found a fretted that ended up having busted electronics. Now here's this one. The phosphor bronze strings are gonna have to go and I don't know how it sounds plugged in yet, but it looks pretty good to me. Here's pictures that are sideways for no good reason. 1. 2. 3. 4.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    hrodbert696, vmabus and Tunaman like this.
  2. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Neat! HNBD!

3. Bass1965

Bass1965

May 3, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Looks fantastic!

4. CoR Bass

CoR Bass

Apr 2, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Basses, Ashdown Amplifiers, Morley Pedals
    Looks sweet!

5. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    Wow-whoa-wee-wha

6. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    I've had one for a few years- no soundhole ordered on mine.
    I think they are fine basses, very versatile.

Enjoy it!

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Just strung it with an old set of ti flats. I always liked these strings on a acoustics, but they're really the perfect strings for this. They even get a good slap tone. Not clacky or zingy considering it only had a piezo. I was hoping for a good all around sound out of this and not just something that would work for acoustic stuff. It's more versatile than I thought.

Has anyone every tried installing a magnetic pickup in one of these? The kind that goes across the sound hole?

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I've got an AC50 Fretless. I WANT to put a mag pickup in the sound hole but haven't got around to it yet. No mag is the only fault I have with these basses! I think that Lace makes a very flat mag pickup with lots of possibilities. These are killer basses. Super light. Try it with foam under strings for upright imitation. Very percussive response. Use that in playing!

I use Carvin nylon wraps on mine. Work fine. Note Carvin strings are laBellas. Compare to online price of Labella nylon wraps. The carvin sets are a steal! I love the smooth feel of the nylon wraps especially on fretless. I am keeping an eye out for a nice used fretted AC50 so I can have a pair!

You did good! It's a killer bass. It's sort of specialized compared to a standard solid body but still covers a lot of nice ground. With a mag pickup it would cover even more!