1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD...Would You Return This Essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Feb 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Jusr received my Essex (SX) Ursa 2. It's really a beautiful instrument, and definitely a change from my Hohner Jack Bass.

There are cracks on both sides of the neck. The one on the treble side is about 1/4 inch and the one on the bass side is 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Also, the 5th fret on the the g dies really fast (like 4-5 seconds). I know about "dead spots", but ive never actually experienced one, so I'm not sure if this is normal.

I realize that this was an inexpensive bass, but are these things that I should be worried about?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    No matter the price, if your not happy then exchange it.
    If you got from rondomusic they have a friendly return policy.

3. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    I would shoot them an email. Regardless of how inexpensive the bass is. It could be a crack in the finish or a crack in the wood. One way to tell is you removing the neck and checking if the cracks reach any depth into the pocket. If it is only a blemish to the finish and you don't want to go through having to ship it back and have to wait a week for a new one, I would email them and try asking for a discount of the purchased price because you got a blemished item and it's not as advertised. If they want to resolve it by you returning it and receiving a new bass, I'd do it if they covered the shipping cost which they probably would. Rondo has been a fairly upstanding instrument vendor and I'm confident you'll find someone to help you.

pudgychef likes this.
  4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Cracks on both sides of the neck? I'm sending that poopie back. But yeah, Rondo are good people. They'll take care of you.

5. I agree with the others. Send it back. Kurt does a good job of taking care of his customers.

6. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I wouldn't care about that it happens eventually on almost all fender style bolt ons, but I wouldn't blame you for sending it back. If it's a killer bass tho don't do that. If it's a fine enough bass nothing to lose. If the next one is perfect and a dog you can swap again

JFOC and Ikkir like this.
  7. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Something isn't right if there are 2 cracks on a brand new bass. Doesn't matter if they're "only" in the finish and not the wood. Doesn't matter if it's inexpensive. You shouldn't have to take the thing apart to assess the extent of the damage. It's new. It has cracks. It should go back.

8. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    I agree with you.

Personally, I rarely have time to repackage and ship out anything for a return. I work 60 hr work weeks so my free time is spent practicing good hygiene, eating, sleeping, and family time with wife and kids on the weekends. Fast forward two basses I was supposed to return later, my suggestion comes as an alternative to the hassle of shipping it back. But you are right.

lostreality likes this.
  9. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Just shot them an email.

pudgychef and Matthew_84 like this.
  10. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Wise decision.

The return policy is great and he will not relist the item as new. It will be sold as B stock with the flaws clearly labeled. Nobody will buy that bass as new, as it should be.

11. And don't take off the neck unless they instruct you to.

shodan and MEKer like this.
  12. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    Never heard of disassembling a bass voiding it's warranty outiside of messing with the electronics.

13. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Any unauthorized disassembly by you or anyone else can be warranty-voiding. Very few companies let you get away with it.

12BitSlab, Matthew_84 and shodan like this.
  14. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I'm not overly comfortable taking the neck off anyway.

15. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    The cracks on the sides of the neck are actually in the finish of the body, not the neck...
    All of my basses have them (USA G&L and Squiers) and I think it's just the nature of the bolt-on design...something I wouldn't worry about.

The only "real" issue is the quick note decay, but that might get "fixed" with a proper setup.

Technicality and PsyDocHill like this.
  16. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Email Kurt with Rondo. They can and will help.

17. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    theres a difference between "checking" (finish cracks) and "cracks"....those are checks and from either stress of too much torque on the bolts attaching the neck to the body or the neck route bareley able to accomodate the neck or both......me personally? I would keep it knowing what it is, but I would beyotch at Rondo about it

ShadowImage likes this.
  18. They put the poly on so thick these days. This is pretty common and doesn't appear to go into the wood, so it won't affect anything (many of my more expensive bolt-ons have this symptom). That being said, it is a flaw, even if only aesthetic, and you could try for a return. Kurt at Rondo is very accommodating. I hope he has another lefty, and a flawless one. If not, maybe a partial kickback is in order if you want to keep it.

19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    This can happen for a kot of reasons :crying:
    none of them are your fault :thumbsup:
    be happy that they occured now and not later:)
    send it back
    this is what warranty is all about

have fun with the new one :bassist:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Mr_O'B likes this.
  20. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I bought a fender strat with the same type of cracking and was initially concerned but no longer. The poly is very hard and much stiffer than the wood beneath. The neck pocket is an area where you have stress concentration due to the thinner section a transfer of stress between neck and body in the single shear plane between neck and body. So the wood may flex but the finish cracks to relieve the stress. Not Not big problem. The body is plenty strong enough even without the finish. Because it's a clear finish you can see there are no wood defects. The only issue is a reduced resale value.