1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD x 2!! kind of rare and ultra rare

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Dec 1, 2018.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So I have not bought a new bass in well over a year. Today I bought 2!

A 1980 Ibanez Musician, the passive version, which sounds great. The bridge pickup has that snarly growl I am always trying to get from my jazz bass.

The second is a strange little bass made in Italy. Anyone seen one of these before? Its very well made, has a really nice three piece maple neck.

I was hoping you guys might help me out with this one. Its very clean, all original, even has a funky foam mute built in. The thing is, it has a stripe along the edges. Maybe its old tape? It does scrape off. Is it original? Should I leave it or scrape it all off? Its kind of weird looking.
    Is there any way to tell how old it is?
    Thanks
    basses. ellihead.JPG ellipups.JPG 20181201_195714.

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I would remove the side tape residue. Even if it was part of something original it's degraded and not in an aesthetically pleasing way. If you found pics showing one with white tape there, you could always find white tape to complete the 'look'. Not aware of ELLI basses, but it's pretty cool and looks to be in fine condition. Short scale I presume - most likely mid 60's. More pics including the 3 piece neck and tuners would be nice.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Cool score on both, congrats! :)

4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    The neck is very nice actually. It looks like a MIJ bass, but they tend to use this cheap kind of mahogany type wood. The bass plays nice, but the pickups are a bit bland. I will remove the residue as the finish seems to be still nice and shiny underneath.
    I like the bit of sunburst on the neck as well.

20181201_221847. ellineck.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    cosmicevan likes this.
  6. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Cool..thanks for the link. They have 2 Elli Sound guitars. As a bass, I guess its almost one of a kind.

Reedt2000 likes this.