NBD x 2 (SX Ursa 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dabbler, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    About a week ago, Kurt reduced the prices on some SX basses. It's no secret that I'm a fan of SXes. I THOUGHT I was ordering an Ursa 2 Alder CAR, but what I had actually ordered was simply a Rosewood Ursa 2 in CAR. I couldn't cancel the order so I proceeded to order the one I had initially wanted, which was also reduced in price. Here they both are:

IMGP3468a.jpg

IMGP3470a.jpg

After they arrived, I ordered my fav strings and tried them both out. They both are typical SX, and a setup made them feel like my other 4 string SXes. They are pretty much identical except for the obvious rosewood vs maple boards, but in addition the neck on the Alder (maple) is a one piece, with the truss adjustment at the heel, and it has the better tuners similar to what's on the Andromeda.

My main reason for wanting an Alder was for the 60s pup spacing, and when I ordered the wrong one, I thought I would also have a rosewood board. I have an Andromeda, which also has 60s spacing, but that's ash with a maple board. I am now considering swapping necks between these 2 to get an Alder/rosewood with 60s spacing.

Anyways, it was a little hard for me to judge the tone because my practice space produces a lot of buzz on unshielded basses. It snowed today, so I stayed in and shielded the Alder. OH YEAH! That's what I'm talking about!

This bass will be my SX "Traditional" bass. I probably won't even put in a series/parallel mod, and I probably will even leave the stock string tree.

At any rate, for $100 I consider this a great budget bass which after shielding and setup (I'm considering the strings as part of the setup) I would have no qualms about playing out.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Is it an optical illusion or is the Maple a different scale length? I'm airing on the side of it being an optical illusion with the rosewood sitting further back.... Could also be the result of being blind and at work as well lol

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Must be a little lean back on the rosewood bass, they are both 34" scale.

4. Ah thought so, but again I'm blind and I may be a little slow on the uptake as well... LOL

5. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Nice! I've been wanting to check out their short scale basses. Can't beat the price and most reviews I've seen have been positive

6. I'm waiting for a maple-neck to show up as my new truck bass. I'm glad the tuners are better, but I'm not thrilled about the truss rod adjustment at the body. I also like the lack of tint on the maple.

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    you know, for that kind of money you could have gotten 2 SX basses... :D

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022