1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD x 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InnerBass, Aug 8, 2017.

1. InnerBass

InnerBass The Rallies, Creme Tangerine - "Chart Gun" 4 Hire. Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Full disclosure - I bought both of these passive basses within the last 2 weeks, but I just got around to posting this. Lately, I am really digging the mojo that passive instruments have.

I bought this Nordy a couple of weeks ago. I had heard they were great basses and that they are hard to find because Nordstrand stopped making basses - which is a total shame because this bass kills. Mo had modded a couple of basses for me and I had complete faith that the Nordstrand shop wouldn't make a bad product. My faith was not misplaced. It has a nice aggressive J-Bass presence, but has punch on steroids due to the Big Singles. The ash body/maple board makes for thumpin' low end and nice clarity up top with that maple board "clank" that I really dig. Tube amps have such a nice way of turning that "clank" into "stank". She plays like a dream, feels nothing but solid and perfect and is my mainstream working J now.

:bassist:

IMG_1374 2.
    IMG_1351 2.

My other purchase was on last Wednesday from a local TB'er, and I must thank him from the depths of my "punchy" and "growly" soul. I have owned / played many, many P basses and my recording keepers are a '68 Fender and a '75 Fender. I consider them family (joking.......kinda) and I hope to keep playing them until I finally keel over and take a dirt nap. Whoever said you have to play 100 Fenders to find 2 you absolutely love wasn't far from wrong.

So, I have been looking for a "boutique" / "knock-off" P bass to use for work / shows and I'd played more than a few of them. I bought a 2007 USA Glaub, but the "1.75 nut just about killed me. I then realized that a 1.5" nut P bass was in my future. So, I sold the Glaub and .....voila !

Here she was in the TB classifieds:
    In a nice shade of PNW Sherwood Green, a 7.5 lb alder/rosewood Lull P4 with custom Lindy goodness from an amazing local TB'er. It was meant to be. I bought her and played her for a 6 night chart reading gig for "The King" at a local venue. I received SO many compliments on my tone from the sound /stage techs and fellow musicians. You know that feeling? - when your playing, you hear your tone and you go.....Das Right !!
    And the 1.5" width was SO comfy - I'm in Love!

Mr Lull - you are a magician and I am forever indebted to you........you too Brad.

I am one happy TB'er :hyper:

IMG_1373 2. IMG_1367 3. 20545562_10210008424513631_8731718493012525080_o 2.

TB just flat out rules!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    Nice pair... seriously I was thinking of putting big singles in my sadowsky jazz.

RBJ11 likes this.
  3. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left

There's a cool video of how the Big Singles came about. From what I can gather, the mainstream success of these particular pickups allowed Nordstrand to experiment with other products - like basses. They really do oooze quality. Not sure why they stopped making them. The basses they did make sure are top notch. And Nordy pickups are among the best of the best.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Great Lulls, Congrats!
    But my, that Verellen is trying so hard to upstage everything around it! :D

RBJ11 likes this.
  5. InnerBass

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left

An amazing passive electric bass without an amazing tube amp is just.....an amazing passive electric bass.

;)

Put the right two together and the tonal possibilities are endless.

Besides, gotta represent the PNW.

Big believer in representing local artisans.

I've always heard bass in purple for some reason. Maybe because its the "coolest" of colors ?

:laugh:

Seriously, that Lull P4 is literally blowing my doors off with it's tone. I have a few of Mike's passive and active J-Basses. I should have trusted his passive P-Basses were other-worldly as well.

The custom Lindy in there compliments the bass so perfectly.

:bassist:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017