1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD X2! (warning long story)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Handsome Dan, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Handsome Dan

Handsome Dan Supporting Member

So I have been gassing hard for months for an AVRI 57 P bass and an AVRI 62 jazz in Olympic white, I have been drooling over pictures on my phone and watching the classifieds, craigslist, reverb etc. Never finding the right bass for the right price. I have shown my lovely wife pictures of a new 63 p bass and 64 jazz bass, dropping hints, I'm sure you guys know the game with Christmas coming and all, (birthday in a week too). Well watching my local craigslist I see this 57p virtually un-played for what I consider more than a fair price, I get in touch with the guy (probably the nicest guy I have ever delt with through craigslist and a frequent visitor or TB). While talking with him I find out he also has a 62 jazz in basically un-played condition as well for an equally fair price. I get to his place and find myself going back and forth which one I should take home. Anyway end up taking home the p bass , put on my favorite strings and am instantly in love with it. Next day when my wife comes home from work I am excited to show her my new favorite bass, bring up the case open it up with a huge smile on my face just to watch disappointment come over my wife. She says to me "Why are you so impatient?" leaves the room and returns with a brand new fender case, opens it up and says I already bought you one for Christmas! It was a brand new Olympic white American Precision Pro, very nice bass but not what I wanted (already have an American standard in sunburst) Well it took me about 1/2 an hour to convince her I am so excited about it I can hardly stand still, so we returned the new American Pro, got in touch with the wonderful man who sold me the 57 P, hooked up with him and came home with the AVRI 62 Jazz, two hours of playing with it I have a new dilemma, I now have two equally favorite basses, now which one for my next gig? I am one happy man!!!
    IMG_1797.JPG

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    and the best part... your wife is still talking to you!

ajkula66, Duder, Ductapeman and 8 others like this.
  3. Handsome Dan

Yep, she's an Angel!!

4. Pics or it didn't happen! ;-)

5. Handsome Dan

There are Pics, I see them in the OP

6. You're right. Sorry. I have this weird problem where I can't see TB photos on my Kindle Fire. I'll log into my laptop and check them out!

Dan Martin likes this.
  7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Right on, glad it all worked out. Congrats x2 :)

8. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    That's a terrible problem to have!! :)

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

sometimes CL works out! congrats (x's 2) on your new instruments! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Handsome Dan

Thanks!

11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Need the grounding strip on the Jazz.

12. FunkyD

FunkyD Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    NJ, USA
    So you found BOTH basses you wanted, enjoyed the transaction, AND your wife is awesome? Dude you are in fact the most lucky SOB here on TB or perhaps even the entire planet. No hate from me, just a little jealous as I'd be happy if any one of these things occurred in my world. Enjoy!

ajkula66, dukeorock and JKB1957 like this.
  13. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    That is a fantastic story. I love a happy ending!

bdplaid likes this.
  14. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    The basses are surely fine, but your wife must be wonderful!

Spidey2112, howlin and Fender_Bender like this.
  15. Judge Nickels

Judge Nickels

Aug 3, 2015
    Texas
    Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Dan Martin likes this.
  16. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Great story........I have owned the same Precision for 5 years and will never part with it. Similar to you, I also have a 62 AVRI Precision, 4 years in my possession. Can't see me parting with it either. They both get gig time but the 57 is slightly favoured. I'm on a 62 swing right now though....been to the last two gigs and going to all three this month. Enjoy, and be sure to buy your wife whatever she wants for Christmas!

Dan Martin and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Congrats! I know it's personal taste but I like the necks on both these 57/62 AVRIs more than the revised 63/74 versions.

Dan Martin and 4-fingers like this.
  18. David G shaw

David G shaw

Jul 12, 2015
    So what's the next gig? My jealousy on all fronts wants the gig to blow! Jk, congrats.

Dan Martin likes this.
  19. basted

basted

Jul 22, 2017
    You are a lucky guy. So, what are you going to buy her for Christmas? A new amp maybe?

20. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    Amen brother, that woman's a keeper. Of course you're going to have to behave till all this wears off.:woot:

Spidey2112, dukeorock and howlin like this.