1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Xotic XJ-1T LW 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Nov 24, 2017.

1. This bass just arrived today courtesy of the TB classifieds. I had my eye on it for quite a while before I took the plunge. I'm glad I decided do it. (Original sale thread with more pics)

xotic.

It's a real knockout. Fit and finish are very very good. My only small complaint is that the tone knob rubs/sticks a little at roughly the 50% position.

Not a ton of playing time so far, but the slim neck profile feels great and it plays fast (by my standards - I'm not a speedster by any means).

Here are a few things I'm loving:
    - No noticeable difference in output level switching between active and passive
    - The tone knob works in active mode
    - The tone knob gives audible and good-sounding changes all the way through its movement
    - The active EQ is responsive and small movements make obvious and useful changes
    - The bridge pickup has guts. I've had many Jazz basses and almost never like the sound of the soloed bridge pickup but I do on this bass
    - It sounds to me like plucking hand position changes the sound more obviously than with my other basses, in a good way
    - The Xotic branded soft/hard case is plenty protective but has a slim profile so it's easy to handle. Plenty of pockets and a cool dark grey color. It looks like it's one of these wearing Xotic branding

wmmj, hieronymous and Dr. Cheese like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a great looking bass! I hope it serves you well for many years!

3. Thanks, me too. I want to get down to 2-3 basses. One of them will always be a 5-string J style. This might be that one.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    Nice score; I had my eye on that one but found one in the gold color w/ tort guard that I liked the look of a bit better, for about the same $... played it on both gigs this past weekend and loved it - very light and ballsy sound. Yes, the active EQ is very touchy - a small tweak to the bass knob goes REALLY far in adding bottom... I love the neck profile and string spacing as well - these are 18 mm and the non-lightweight XJ's are 19 mm, which is a bit much for me. So these basses are really a good fit for what I need... highly recommended. And yes, the Xotic gig bag is made by Protec and is KILLER...

tonedeaf likes this.
  5. Fantastic basses, premium quality Fender-killer. :thumbsup:

6. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    Here's the one I just picked up, color is called Electrum Metallic and is just beautiful...
    My Xotic Bass.JPG

tonedeaf likes this.
  7. Good choice! not so keen on the gig bag, I've got a Mono Vertigo, holds the bass more securely for me. This is my go to bass and has been for 3 years, it just feels right to me:)