1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Yamaha 1978 BB1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyH, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I had a trade deal this weekend. I acquired a 1978 Yamaha BB1200. This thing is near mint. Its in better shape then a lot of the new basses on the wall at my local Guitar Center! One of the best and solid necks I've ever felt. I'm pretty excited about this guy. I've never played Yamaha, and I was always a Jazz bass player. But this bass feels right. Can't wait to gig it this weekend! :hyper:

207692_10200306741212481_16825650_n_zps453b778a.jpg

2. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    More

photo-33_zps06b6b384.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    That looks cool as hell! Congrats on the score.

4. Awesome. Love those old BBs. :bassist:

5. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I've never played them before, but the general saying was that its got a more tight, focused P tone. Almost a rounded out, improved Fender tone. And I have to agree. It's a P "knockoff" that, IMO, surpasses all the Fender P's I've played. It's just got a new, specific, warm feel to me. And I'm really diggin it. I know a guy who gigs a newer BB424X and raved about it. I can definitely see myself getting a BB425X soon.

Never even considered Yamaha's before. Apparently, I'm an ass.

6. pablop

pablop

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles CA
    nice score, those are beautiful basses, tone to kill and sustain for africa!
    I have a BB1000S that sings strung with Rickenbacker strings, you should try those.

7. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    You know what, I'm glad you brought that up. I always used Blue Steels on my Jazz basses, and Laklands and what have you. But this is a different built, feeling, sounding, animal. I'm also taking string suggestions! I'm not into flats that much. I'm not trying to go total vintage P Bass on this haha. But any suggestions are welcomed!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021