1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Yamaha BB1000S

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stev187, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Hey TB Pals:

I recently bought a 1982 Yamaha BB1000S to use on gigs. Played a show with it last night and it's a really nice bass. I recorded a 2 minute demo video of the three different pickup settings with pick, slap, and fingers. I thought I'd share (nothing fancy here):

http://youtu.be/0gNNsF3zSTg

The bass has really dead strings on it, but that can't keep the thing from being super bright. The reverse P has a nice P-bass tone; the P/J setting is Swiss Army Knife--does everything and it's great for slap. The bridge pickup alone doesn't really get that nasal Jaco tone, but it's close.

It's a neck through, and it's pretty heavy (9lbs 14oz). Overall a great gig bass. Since I learn so much about basses here on TB, I thought I'd throw all this out there for the group. My take: this is a great gig bass, perhaps on the heavy side, but a great all-around axe for gigs.

--Steve

Attached Files:

2. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Those old BBs are great basses. I had a BB2000 that is one of the only basses I really regret getting rid of. I got rid of it because of the weight, I should have just dealt with it.

3. Nice vid. Love the tone and really well played.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Yamaha BB series has a great reputation and you got pretty much the top of the line. Congrats! Tons of sound options there.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Cool!

6. neren

neren

Jun 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I've always loved the big round shape of these, especially the headstock which I think looks like a Sadowsky/Fender/Peavey hybrid. I think some lollipop tuners would look great.

7. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks. I have been hunting for this model for a while; we briefly had a B1200S (sold that one). That was great, but I wasn't nuts about the active pickup, the ebony board and the lack of a bridge pickup. So I've been scouting around for a Persimmon Red BB1000S for a while. This one is very worn but in all-original and playable shape. It was great on the gig last night. Again, next to my parts Jazz--which is just over 7lbs--the thing seem heavy. But it's lighter than my Ric. The P/J tone is what you'd exect, but that reverse P solo is just a killer tone!

My bandmates never comment on my bass choices, but they all had great things to say about this one last night.

--Steve

8. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    These are great basses. I have HUGE regrets over selling a BB2000 that had replacement Bartolini pickups - it weighed a ton, but it had bloom and punch, and what I didn't dig (other than weight) could have been cured by Nordstrands!

I now have BB2000 fretless that kills. Pedulla-like performance, for a pittance. These should be collector's items.

Loved your clips - the slap sound on both pickups was magnificent, and there was nice degree of burp on fingerstyle/bridge - my guess is the issue is strings rather than the axe.

Enjoy!

9. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Just stumbled across this clip of Kerry Hatch, bass player for Oingo Boingo, playing a Yamaha BB1000S on the Merv Griffin Show in 1982. The bass sounds great and those guys were TIGHT.

http://youtu.be/oJgrH89v3_k

--Steve

10. NDpeppers

NDpeppers Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Los Angeles,CA
    kerry hatch is one of my bass heres! met him once and he signed my bass!

11. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    This baby will soon be in my care. Can't wait! :)

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a really nice demo clip. The bass' tone and your playing were fine. I thought your basses tone was interesting. Usually reverse P/Js sound closer to Jazzes when slapped, but yours really has that edgy P/J slap tone. This a BB2000 demo for reference.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just realized that this is zombie thread.

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I use to have one of those and oddly enough I ran it through a Peavey Mega bass head

15. Still... great bass. Nice to hear the Yamaha again. Sold mine to get a Spector but yea, a bit of regret.

16. Really interested in these Yamahas...
    I recently found a used bb1000s, a used bb1000ma and a new bb714bs at almost the same price. On which should I pull the trigger? :nailbiting:

17. Bb1000s

19. I thought the 714bs was out of production? I'd like to check one of those out.

20. I found it in a couple of shops here in Italy. But there is no way to find one used...

todd burns likes this.