NBD - Yamaha BBP35!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray69, Jan 23, 2021.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The newest BB series have been out for a couple of years now, but I've been content with my other Yamaha BB basses. However, the curiosity of the new line finally got the better of me. I had to check out the flagship model, the BBP35 in person to see how it compared to my BB2025x. It showed up a couple of weeks ago from Sweetwater and I've been thoroughly checking it out.

The build quality is flawless - just ridiculously good. You can feel the amount of detail & attention that was put into the making of the instrument. The fret level is fantastic and not so much of a hint of a fret tang sticking out when you run your fingers down the sides of the neck. Really all I had to do out of the box was simply lower the fret saddles to the height I wanted and play!

Yamaha stated that they wanted to make a slightly more modern sounding BB instrument and they've done just that. This bass is very clear and detailed in the mid range and extends the top end further out than the last generation ("X" series). The killer BB growl is still very much present in this generation though. I notice that chordal stuff is a lot clearer in the BBP35 due to the extra clarity they've achieved with this generation.

Not sure if it's the YGD Custom V7 Pickups, the 3-layer Alder/Maple/Alder body, or the 4-bolt +2 miter bolt neck attachment, but it's great sounding!

Been fending off lockdown fever & no gigs by playing along to sound tracks, practicing, etc.

Here's a few clips of the BBP35:

Finger style both pickups: clip1

P w/a pick: clip2

P finger-style w/chorus (Hook-style): clip3

Pics:

Yamaha-BBP35-1.jpg

Yamaha-BBP35-14.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Matt R, MYLOWFREQ, JDA04OSU and 64 others like this.
  2. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Couple more pics:

Yamaha-BBP35-7.jpg

Yamaha-BBP35-10.jpg
    Yamaha-BBP35-2.jpg

jmlee, SJan3, Prog Fan and 41 others like this.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very nice bass. Congrats.

stingray69 likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That blue is great. Really pops

stingray69 likes this.
  5. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Looking great with that tort pickguard. :thumbsup:
    Congrats!

Dec1975, Aqualung60, Thundar and 5 others like this.
  6. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks, Pickguard Planet already had a template for both the BBP34 and BBP 35 models.

All I had to do was pick a color and wait for it to arrive, didn't have to send in my original.

Mili, LowActionHero, Andy V. and 2 others like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You out did yourself! Those are the nicest quality demos I have ever heard on TalkBass! Your playing is great. It sounds active covering that Louis Johnson line, it sounds like perfect Rock for the Bangles cover, and that BB pedigree comes out when you cover Peter Hook.

8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Holy cow - thanks for the kind words Doc! Now that you mention it - it sure does cover a huge range of tones for just two volumes and a tone knob!

I kind of deliberately went full on Treble for the Louis Johnson line and rolled back some for the others. I hope it wasn't too bright - it's sporting DR High Beams at the moment.

I'm thrilled with this instrument, it's become my main BB - I prefer the P tone better on the BBP35 than my BB2025x. :bassist:

9. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    TCFW
    - bass
    - sound
    - playing

Clutchcargo, DJ Bebop and stingray69 like this.
  10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Awesome! I look forward to playing one someday.

stingray69 likes this.
  11. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I love it! Is she particularly heavy?

12. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    Congrats
    Love the BB line. I had the 1024x that I stupidly sold a while back. Truly regret that one.
    As the Doc said, great playing.
    Now I understand why it sounded so bright on IKF ;).
    Enjoy it for many years to come

stingray69 likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

perfect in every way! what a great looking ax, OP! sounds really nice and it obviously plays well. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

stingray69 and eriky4003 like this.
  14. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    Tort looks amazing!! Congrats!!

stingray69 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. Mo cowbell

Mo cowbell

Mar 2, 2017
    Colorado
    My first real bass was a BB300 that I bought new in Minneapolis in 1984. I sold it 2 years later so I could get a Warlock. I’ve toyed with buying another Yamaha. I need to figure out what the extra numbers and letters mean first!. Looks like a sweet instrument you have there!

stingray69 likes this.
  16. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    It 10lbs, 2oz - which is not that much lighter than any of my other previous generation BB's. Which is odd considering they made the lower bout noticeably smaller, got rid of weight-adding things like the chrome pickup surrounds and put lightweight tuning gears on it. But the more compact size doesn't feel like it weighs that much. Perhaps since it's in a smaller package it balances better?

jaysbass2002 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    They're amazing instruments as you know!

I knew I should have rolled more treble off of IKF, but thanks for the kind words. :thumbsup:

raphaeld, jaysbass2002 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I love ALL my current BB basses - I would highly recommend any of them, regardless of model. It can be confusing because the Yamaha BB series has been around almost 40-odd years. Lots of number/letters to contend with, but hard to go wrong so long as BB (Broad Bass) is in the title. :thumbsup:

Yamaha-BBP35-13.jpg

Mo cowbell likes this.
  19. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

I agree with Doc...fantastic playing and great sound on those demos! Very nicely done! And that Tort PG on the blue looks great....even though I still dont agree with a PG being on a Yammy BB for ANY reason...they are beautiful and unique as they are.

20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thank You!

I know it's clean under the PG, so I suppose I could go sans-guard if I wanted to without issues (other than screw holes).

But I definitely wasn't feeling the mint-colored, stock pg. Not a mint fan. Nope. :smug:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Dr. Cheese, jaysbass2002 and Thundar like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021