NBD - Yamaha BBP35!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray69, Jan 23, 2021.

1. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice looking bass. Congrats and I’m happy that you’re enjoying it.

stingray69 likes this.
  2. Sanshiro

Sanshiro

Aug 28, 2020
    NY, USA
    Demos sound amazing! I might have to get a new BB, they sound wonderful.

stingray69 likes this.
  3. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Beautiful bass!

stingray69 likes this.
  4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks for the kind words!

I still love my previous generation BB's, and will be reaching for them when I want to go as warm/vintage as I can in my BB collection.

The BBP35 is the easiest playing and has the best P-tone (IMO) of any of my BB basses, so I'll be using it as my #1 BB. :bassist:

EatS1stBassist and Sanshiro like this.
  5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Nice! I owned one...indeed a very impressive bass, especially for all-passive. It's got serious muscle. I, too, added a tort guard from Pickguard Planet. Enjoy!

20200527_174805.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Corto14, Nunovsky, Dr. Cheese and 2 others like this.
  6. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I'm sure these are really nice basses, and I love my BB415 and BB300, but I just can't get with the aesthetics on these new ones (since the "x" models came out). The no pickguard and chrome pickup surrounds is kind of what makes the BB look.

Eventually I want to upgrade the 300 to a nicer vintage 4 string (and/or change out the pickup), and also maybe pick up fretted and fretless vintage 5 strings. The 415 DEFINITELY fights above its class. I think I got it for $300 used. Apparently it had been in the classifieds here forever and then the previous owner dumped it at GC. He obviously took care of it because it was in practically new condition and the setup was great. When I've gigged it I basically always get compliments on the tone and people thinking it's much more expensive than it was. And since it's orange, I call it "the Yam". I did have to take off the goofy clashing orange top hat knobs and put speed knobs on it (which is what it would have originally come with I believe).

stingray69 likes this.
  7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    To be honest, I used to feel the exact same way. I was not at all on board with the aesthetic changes they made from the previous generation. I had no interest in checking one out. I guess I just needed some time to pout and get over it, lol. :laugh:

Slowly, I warmed up to the looks but I never played one. Finally, curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the BBP35. For me, the new aesthetic concerns went out the window pretty fast when an instrument plays this effortlessly and sounds this good! :bassist:

Nunovsky and Ricky Rioli like this.
  8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I recall some of your pics & videos - even picked up the advice that Pickguard Planet already carries the templates for the newest BB's from your one of your posts. :thumbsup:

songwriter21 likes this.
  9. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Nice playing across all three of your demos, and the bass sounds great too. It makes me want to play one.
    One my main basses is similarly a passive PJ-5 (Reverend Mercalli). Your BB sounds like it has a more open sound.

stingray69 likes this.
  10. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    Great sound and playing, I totally agree.

Sweetwater lists the nut width as 1.692" for the BBP35 and the BBP34 as 1.131". I’m guessing that 5 width is close enough to 1.75 that you don’t feel much difference from other 5’s? Can anyone confirm the width for the 4 is correct? Man I’d love this in a 4 but that nut width scares me.

stingray69 likes this.
  11. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I normally hate tort pickguards, but that tort pickguard on that bass is frickin' great...:wideyed::drool:

stingray69 likes this.
  12. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks man! I've heard great things about the Reverends and I've always wanted to try one out myself! Specifically, the Mercalli 5, but I've never seen one locally.

The top end is more open by design in this generation - Yamaha wanted to make a more modern sounding BB and they succeeded quite nicely. It's got enough top end to cover modern styles, slap, etc, all the while still retaining the classic BB growl. The Tone knob can roll the high way back for a more classic, vintage BB tone. The midrange detail & bark when you dig in is what I was concerned about the most - and I'm happy to say it's still 100 percent present in the new generation of BB basses. :bassist:

13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks!

I think it looks miles better than the off-white stock guard & spruces it up quite nicely!

HubbardsFate likes this.
  14. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    All the current 4 string BBs are 40mm nut, ~ 1.575" ~ 1 & 9/16 inch

NeckPickup likes this.
  15. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The nut is 43mm (1.692") on the BBP35.

Feels like wearing a favorite pair of jeans to me, and the same measurement I'm used to with my other BB basses.

16. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Shiny! You cannot go wrong with a Yamaha bass. I've never played a BB, always had TRBs but they are quality instruments and very consistent.

stingray69 likes this.
  17. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I had a TRB-5 a long time ago - I regret selling that one! Definitely a modern sounding bass.

But truthfully, the BB series with it's awesome passive tones is where my heart lies so I am thrilled with the BBP35!

One last clip - I realized I didn't really cover fingerstyle P-tone very well.

stretch80 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Why did you sell yours?

19. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Neck was too wide for me, and the big body annoyed me when playing seated.

20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Also forgot to mention that I have DR High Beams (stainless steel) strings installed at the moment - probably adding to some of the brightness. Why stainless? I always found my "X" series BB's sounded great with the extra clarity that stainless steel strings brought. I like them on the BBP35 too, but probably not the first string of choice to play traditional/old-school demos with. But since I use them so much on my other BB's, I had a set or two laying around. I may switch back to nickel since this generation of BB has opened up the high end, not sure if I need any further help from stainless steel strings.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021