NBD - Yamaha BBP35!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray69, Jan 23, 2021.

1. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Clip 1 sounds real nice on my iPad so it’s got to be good. iPad speakers are kind of an afterthought.

stingray69 likes this.
  2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks for the feedback! Posting clips always makes me a bit nervous - my recording setup is a simple Zoom R16 with some KRK 6" monitors. It always sounds decent on those KRK's but it doesn't always sound good on everything that it gets played on. But it's encouraging if it sounds good on the iPad speakers! :laugh::thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Dr. Cheese and jaysbass2002 like this.
  3. Mookev2

Mookev2

Mar 17, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Beautiful -
    Love the stylish painted headstock.
    Love the tort pickguard.
    Just a thought here - I have never liked the "ply" look of the edge of a pick guard. The white line interrupts the visual flow...I have always blacked out the edge of my pick guard. Your tort pick guard with a blue edge will take your Yamaha from a 10 to an 11.
    Whaddyathink?

stingray69 likes this.
  4. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    Ouch, you're killing me! That looks awesome.
    I was on the fence about ordering one of these vs. the US Geddy Lee, which I did end up ordering.
    How long did you wait between order and delivery? I'm wondering if Yamaha has a shorter backlog than Fender.

I may have to add a 5 string to the stable at some point...

stingray69 likes this.
  5. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Interesting, I never thought to do that with any pg before.

I don't mind the 3-ply actually, I think it gives the edges of the pg a nice contrast against the body color. :thumbsup:

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  6. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks man! It's hands down amazing on all levels - tone, construction, playability etc.

I do love jazz basses, especially w/70's spacing and the US Geddy Lee would be at the very top of my list if they ever would release a 5-string version. Sigh...

I ordered the BBP35 from Sweetwater and paid an extra $35 dollars I think it was to ensure it got here within the 2-3 business days and it did. I believe it arrived in 2 days because Sweetwater is just over in Indiana, about a 6-7hr drive from me.

But it seems that mine was also the last one Sweetwater had in stock. I just checked, they do not have it back in stock yet. There is a Demo model that has a minor scratch - I think they knocked off about $200 dollars on the price.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  7. FYI: I'm a big '80s fanboy and that's The Go-Go's, not The Bangles. ;)

8. Nice bass! Love the tort! :drool: Great covers also. I'm a big fan of Joy Division and The Go-Go's. :thumbsup:

stingray69 likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sorry, I and had that album too!

Doctor Morbius and stingray69 like this.
  10. Matt23

Matt23

May 26, 2016
    England
    Ah man, only bass I’ve ever regretting selling is my BBP35. It was just too heavy to be my only bass and I needed the cash to put towards a super light 5. But the BBP35 has the best neck of any bass I’ve played and I will 100% own another someday.

stingray69 likes this.
  11. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Figured the BB tone would fit very well in those - and just about anything else actually.

It's a classic tone that works in almost all genres. Much versatility. :bassist:

Doctor Morbius likes this.
  12. Mookev2

Mookev2

Mar 17, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Stingray -
    What's with those knobs?
    They look mother-of-pearl or like Opals.
    I really like them - what are they? Not stock, I don't think.

stingray69 likes this.
  13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Kinda of a custom creation - I originally had these from Amazon, but then I saw these from E-Bay and thought the Smoke Black Pearl tops looked really nice.

Well, the ones from E-Bay were kinda junk in the sense that they did fit, but none of the set-screws would actually tighten onto the pot shaft - at all. Got frustrated and decided it wasn't worth the time & effort to send them back.

So...I extracted the Smoke Black Pearl tops from the E-Bay ones and attached them to the Amazon flat top knobs and Viola! Custom knobs, I guess. :laugh:

14. Mookev2

Mookev2

Mar 17, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Brilliant!

stingray69 likes this.
  15. wmhill

wmhill Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed

My 1985 BB 300 now sports a pickguard (there are decades of sins underneath)

upload_2021-1-25_19-21-29.png

stingray69 likes this.
  16. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    vbntoh6gd1yqwwkzm9hy.jpg

For the love of (insert deity of choice here), someone please snag this BB414 off the 'verb before I do something stupid! I really can't afford this thing right now...but dddaaayyyuuuummmm, she purty...:drool: :bassist: :banghead:

(I am not the seller, nor am I affiliated with the seller...just a sweet Yamaha BB that's been on my radar/Reverb watchlist for several days now...but in the absence of the stars aligning for me, I think my fellow TBers should be made aware of this one) :cool:

iammr2, Thundar, Omega Monkey and 2 others like this.
  17. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've always wanted to check out an authentic 80's BB! :drool:

Beautiful bass! :thumbsup:

wmhill likes this.
  18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Orange Metallic is one of the best BB colors ever! :bassist:

I wish the BBP models offered more color choices - Orange Metallic being one of them!

HubbardsFate likes this.
  19. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Curious, did you drop in the MM pickups or from a previous owner?

20. wmhill

wmhill Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I bought it brand new in 1985- stock was a P pickup that I didn't care for. Mid 90's I added a pair of G&L jazz pickup which sounded great, but I did a horrible job with the routing. I have two MTD artist models that came with the stock MM style pickups. I had swapped those stock ones out for Bartolinis, so I thought they would be great candidates for the Yamaha. I was right- it sounds huge and gnarly.

stingray69 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021