NBD - Yamaha BBP35!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray69, Jan 23, 2021.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Nice! :thumbsup:

Louis Johnson played a customized Yamaha BB at some point in his career - it was modified with 2 MM humbuckers.

I can only imagine if Yamaha had pursued a Louis Johnson artist model. I'd be having one!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    That's exactly identical to mine, except the 4 string version.

I hate to tell you that that one is not very authentic. It is giving me ideas though, especially after the George Duke video with Louis Johnson's MM/BB hybrid. Since I got my 300 for pocket change, a pickup routing or 2 gone awry wouldn't be a huge deal. I wonder if I could fit a SR HH Special pickguard on it? The stock P is definitely not the most inspiring (not bad but not amazing) and seems to require a good amount of EQ, so I was thinking I'd replace that at a minimum. It does play well, I guess I have to decide if the body/neck are good enough acoustically to bother dumping a bunch of money and work into it or just lightly upgrade it with a nicer P pickup.

3. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I understand that his bass is heavily modified - I was just saying that I would love the chance to play any BB from the 80's era (modded or not). It's more about appreciating the snapshot in time, the vintage vibe of it. I hear nothing but good things about them in the Yamaha Mega thread.

Plus, it reminded me of the Louis Johnson modified BB that is seen in the George Duke Live in Tokyo 1993 video. Would be a great project - and I imagine a great deal of work, but I would love to hear how it sounds if it you decide to do it. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Omega Monkey likes this.
  4. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    It's funny because I was just checking out this video a couple days ago.

And kind of lamenting that I don't have anything to put a MM pickup (or 2) in. But the BB300 as cool as it is, is still just kind of a cheap taiwanese bass that sounds decent but not amazing. Mine is also straight black, so nothing super amazing going on appearance wise. So that combined with its relative cheapness would make it a good platform for modding.

5. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    LUCKY! :wideyed:

Omega Monkey likes this.
  6. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Laying down that David Hood solo! One of the great bass solos...

stingray69 likes this.
  7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Indeed, a classic bassline!

Please forgive my rough around the edges "interpretation" of it. ;)

8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Forgot I had this pic too:

Yamaha-BBP35-6.jpg

Cracker7, Dr. Cheese and Corto14 like this.
  9. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I’ve played some BBP35’s in music stores, and it’s as good as some basses that are 2-3 times the price. Incredible quality! I just wish they could find a way to make them under 9 lbs. Wearing a 10+ lb. bass on a 3-4 hour gig is brutal, especially when you’re playing multiple nights in a row.

stingray69 and Matt23 like this.
  10. Matt23

Matt23

May 26, 2016
    England
    Agreed, mine was 10lbs 5. Like you say, it’s just too much playing night after night. If i could get that bass weighing 9lbs or under I’d never sell it! My BBP35 was genuinely my favourite bass I’ve owned, but weight trumps all, when you need light, it’s unavoidable

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yamaha probably could make them consistently 8.5 pounds but would you pay an extra $500-$1,000 for a lighter bass?

12. Matt23

Matt23

May 26, 2016
    England
    For me it’s a ‘yes’. Granted, I really, really gelled with my BBP35, but a sudden shoulder issue and 5+ gigs a week meant I had to sell it quickly at a silly price in order to raise funds for a very lightweight bass to continue working. Since I bought mine, in 2018 I think it was, the BBP has gone up by about £500 anyway. But, if I could get an 8.5lb one, I’d be all over it, and would raise the extra cash for sure.

Herrick, Dr. Cheese and Killens84 like this.
  13. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I had a 10 lb. bass (not naming the brand) several years back, and I once used it on a three-night gig, which was four hours per night. My neck and shoulder was in serious pain after that weekend. Although it was probably the best sounding bass I had owned at that point, I sold it. I just couldn’t use it for all the marathon gigs I was doing

I’d pay $500 more if it were under 9 lbs., as good of a bass as it is, but I’m probably in the minority there. However, the Yamaha Nathan East signature bass (which sounds AMAZING), is around $1,000 more than the BBP35, and it’s also typically 10+ lbs. That Nathan East bass, under 9 lbs., would be a dream bass of mine.

Dr. Cheese and Matt23 like this.
  14. Matt23

Matt23

May 26, 2016
    England
    dude I agree on all of that, and feel you on the shoulder pain. Also, the lightweight NE2 being a dream, 100%! That would be amazing

15. Prog Fan

Prog Fan

Aug 4, 2017
    SoCal
  16. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Prog Fan likes this.
  17. Prog Fan

Prog Fan

Aug 4, 2017
    SoCal
    NBD next week. Just ordered a blue pearl pick guard from Pick Guard Planet, color #86.

Corto14 and stingray69 like this.
  18. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    stingray69 likes this.
  19. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Fantastic! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

There's a whole lot of awesome tones to be had - I'm sure I'll get back around to playing my other Yamaha basses eventually. But for now, I still can set it down or play a band practice without the BBP35! :)

Congrats - looking forward to your thoughts/review on it! :bassist:

Feel free to drops some pics in this thread too if you don't mind. Would love to see the new guard on it!

Prog Fan likes this.
  20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Indeed it does - another fantastic sounding BB from Yamaha (as they all are). :bassist:

Deep likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021