1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonmatthews, Nov 20, 2020.

1. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been searching for a Yamaha Attitude LTD II in seafoam green for over a decade... it's a nostalgic bass that I remember seeing on the wall at music stores in the 90s and I always wanted one because it looked neat... then, of course, I heard Sheehan and saw him live and what not and when I was finally seasoned enough to understand that instrument it was like... gotta have it.

I bought one a few months ago (a LTD II), but it was damaged... stained fretboard, busted neck, etc, just a disappointment that I sent back. The community said "just buy the LTD 3, it's incredible" and the search was on.

I'm not against new instruments, I'm just a patient guy that prefers to buy used -- so I wait. A guy posted on the Attitude Facebook group that Guitar Center had one for a good price. I called instantly to ask about condition, dude was like "it's mint... there's not a mark on it anywhere." I asked about the case ... "yeah it's also brand new, all the case candy is there, everything is perfect." The price was good at $1800 but I asked about wiggle room (because of course I did), he said "nah not until after a month or so" so I said I'd think about it and call back.

I mentioned it to my girlfriend and she instantly said "just buy it... you know you're going to buy it eventually, just buy it." So I called back in about 5 minutes... bought it, he did me a solid and brought it down to $1700. It arrived yesterday.

It's mint. I swear either Guitar Center screwed up and sent me a new instrument from stock or the previous owner never touched it. It DOES have a set of the Sheehan Rotosounds (dead giveaway from the colors and the .110 E string and the feel of rotosounds) but otherwise it's dead freakin' mint, the plastic is even still on the pickguard. All case candy is there. It needed a quick setup... only a quarter turn of the truss rod to bring back the relief, and lowered all the saddles -- intonation was spot on. I had to adjust to d-tuner but otherwise it was perfect.

It's even more perfect than I ever imagined. It's a dream to play, really. I've got the Sheehan EBS pedal so using both outputs into one amp/input is a piece of cake and gives you *exactly* the tone you're looking for out of this instrument. Really just... truly a great instrument. Well done Yamaha on this one.

IMG_20201119_210945.jpg IMG_20201119_211109.jpg IMG_20201119_211212.jpg IMG_20201119_211047.jpg

2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    HUGE congrats dude! I shared that same dream since 1990 and I'm now lucky enough to own three attitude LTDs including one just like yours. They are my favorite basses and with the Sheehan ultimate pedal its the tone that's been in my head for decades. I'm stoked for you!

jasonmatthews likes this.
  3. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    These have the most comfortable necks I’ve ever played. I have a black attitude 3.

jasonmatthews and StevieMac like this.
  4. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Interestingly enough the neck thickness is different on each of mine but they are all great and very comfortable.

jasonmatthews and shaggy45 like this.
  5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Beaver County, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    LOVE how they recess the bridge, AND paint that area, too. I roadied for Billy back in '06, during the inaugural BX3 tour, and he couldn't have been nicer...some of the best weeks of my life. His bass ain't bad, either. ;)

6. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    They are fantastic instruments. I have a seafoam green LTD II which is my go-to bass for rock stuff.

StevieMac likes this.
  7. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks man! I have a bunch of basses, each with a different purpose, but the Sheehan sound is just so elusive without the correct equipment, and it's such a powerful sound that you just lust after it until you find it. I really wanted that LTD II but I'm so pumped to have found this one!

The finish on the neck is superb. The closest similarity I have to it is the Ibanez Adam Nitti Signature ANB205, which is a beefy neck with a great finish. Love them both.

I'm a super low action kinda guy, so that extra recess just makes it so much better. I take the relief down to almost flat, and after that the G string saddle is almost sitting on the bridge plate, so without that recess it'd be too high!

And he's such a cool dude... super modest and down to earth, loves to share knowledge, just great all around. Jealous of your experience!

That's the one I always wanted! But this one will do. ;)

8. nilorius

nilorius Inactive Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Interesting neck finish design, also pickup combination, but i would not buy before try out and say - yes, i really like.

9. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Congrats, great bass

10. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    Congratulations!

11. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Que Bella! Bravo!

12. 1uca5x

1uca5x Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Recessed bridge :woot: ooooh. nice.

13. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I want that..

14. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Recording this instrument is different than what I'm used to, but I'm learning...

shaggy45 likes this.
  15. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    I’ve been using mine again since you posted this thread and it really is a stellar bass.

I’ve been playing my Rick for so long it has been a very nice change.

It really is a top quality bass. Yamaha did a great job on these.

It’s crazy how low you can get the action on these. I’ve only been able to do that when I had my modulus or status bass.

Total rock machine.

16. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
  17. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    That's me. It's on top of the original track, I'm just much louder.

18. Though a Billy isn't my cup of tea, Congrats, and it's hard to put into words just how well built the real Made-in-Japan Yamahas are. Made by Music Kraft, Yamaha's top production facility, the home of the Nates and the Pattitucci's. Wail on it !

19. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    I am indeed jealous. I always keep you eyes open for these as well. Honestly the blue is a bit of a detractor, but I already have two black basses. I'd need to swap out a couple things to justify it, but my crystal ball says it shall be mine one day.

20. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm a low-action fanatic. I have a thing about having to fight with instruments and one of the easiest things to reduce the fight is lower action... less fatigue on your fingers, etc. This bass really accepts it well!

I don't own any other Yamaha instruments, this one blows me away!

There's a black one on eBay right now for $2k, I'm sure he'd take a reasonable offer. Yamaha Attitude Limited Billy Sheehan Bass Guitar | eBay

shaggy45 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020