1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Yamaha RBX375

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skygoneblue, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Nothing special, but I've loved Yamaha's RBX line ever since I fell in love with Taproot oh so many years ago. Their bassist Phil Lipscomb used them for a long time, and I always liked his style and tone. It growled, but didn't overpower.

PS - Musician's Friend rocks. They got this to me in one day, even when I selected standard shipping!

Yamaha.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Nice color.

Those bridge saddles are pretty high though - might could use a shim on the edge of the neck heel to make the neck angle lay back just a tiny bit.

3. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    I have one. Unless they've improved the pre-amp, these basses sound much better with a passive conversion.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Beautiful bass congrats.

5. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not sure on the pre-amp. Most of the reviews I read said that they're known for sucking batteries like lollipops, but most of those reviews referenced them having 18v. Mine only has one 9v slot, so they've definitely changed *something* about them.

*shrug*

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Sure a beautiful color anyway:bassist:

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    It's a great color! Wish mine was red actually. That battery sucking problem was fixed years ago I think.
    Pre-amp is subjective anyway, some will love it some won't. It works well enough.

8. Love me a good Yamaha. Such a nice string spacing on the 375s, you've really got room to play. Such a nice bit of growl in the low end, but with nice highs.

Enjoy :)

9. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    congrats, you got yourself a nice bass there! i got the same model in 2010 and i love it.

you might find that the pots in particular are not of very high quality but that can be fixed easy if they give you trouble.

enjoy your new bass!

10. I have the 4 stringer version and have thought about ripping out the active circut, replacing it with a vol-vol-tone-parrallel/series switch. I`m not keen on actives but love the bass otherwise. Have you converted one or played a passive one?

11. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Nice! I had a translucent green RBX765A that I (now regretfully) sold to a friend. The string spacing was perfect for me; such a comfortable, nice sounding instrument. Currently I have a bog-standard RBX270J, which is phenomenal, and a BB405 that does the passive Jazz V thing better than a Jazz V, IMHO. Gotta love Yamaha!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I remember the Taproot guy being in the catalogue when the translucent RBXs came out (764A, 765A, etc.) along with John Myung and his six string RBX with the fancy-pants inlay. Early 2000s I think it was.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. Congrats!

13. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Funny you mention that. I was just troubleshooting a crackling sound that I swore was from my amp, and it turns out, the pickup selector pot is dirty. Gotta rip the back off and get summa dat spray stuff in 'ere! ;)

14. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    yeah, something had to give for that really budget friendly price.
    but even if you have to swap some of the pots, it still is a really well sounding and handling bass.

15. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Congratulations. Been using mine for six years now and I'm a happy camper.
    The preamp isn't perfect, but it gets the job done most of the time, though I'm planning to replace mine after so long just to
    try something new.

16. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Cool, to each is own i guess. I had one awhile ago. I got it in 2006, but after awhile it just wasnt doing it for me. It was a 4 string, but i found the active electronics were giving me too many problems, after every jam with the band i had to change the battery. And i the end the sound just wasnt as good as i thought it was. Ended up trading up for a p bass...anyways i wish you well, some people love thesee basses

17. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Sharp looking bass. I've loved my 775 for nearly a decade now. :eek:

18. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    What's everyone's issue with the preamp? I've been playing for 12+ years and never been savvy enough to know a good preamp from a bad one.

19. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    in my experience, the issue with the pre amp is the quality of the parts.

the sound you can get from the stock wiring is ok, it is just made from cheap components and is likely to develop issues like scratching pots etc.

20. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Can someone give me the RBX375's neck width at the nut, the neck thickness there and maybe like the 12 fret, and the string spacing at the bridge?

I've found what I think may be a pretty good deal on an RBX375, but its kind of far away, and I don't want to drive an hour out there to find out my short fingers won't like it. :meh:

Thanks!!