1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Yamaha RBX800A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassclef112, Jul 18, 2012.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This came in last night. I had seen it come up on ebay and was immediately interested though I'd never heard of the particular model. I have a BB5000 and a BB3000S so I am always intrigued by any 80's-90's Yamaha product that shows it. After reading what little I could find on it I decided it was worth pulling the trigger.

I am sure glad I did - I am not disappointed! The serial number makes it a 1991. The bass is in excellent overall condition, just a couple of very tiny doinks. It's Pearl White with black hardware and the paint is really nice - it refracts the light slightly so colors do ripple through it. Subtle but cool! It didn't even need much of a clean up. New strings (DR Black Beauties - I like to color coordinate), a slight tweak on the truss and she was ready to go. Overall fit and finish was first rate.

The neck is really comfortable and on the thin side. No traditional dead spots and only 2 "90%" spots. That's a really good showing in my book. The bass balances very well too.

Yamaha P/J's. Controls are Volume, blend and +/- Bass and Treble with the active preamp. It can get SUPER bright, but add some bass boost and roll off some treble and it sounds quite good. There is an excellent grunt with authority in the low end and a real strong E. Good midrange presence.

I am looking forward to a full road test this weekend on a couple of gigs. I can already tell that it's very responsive and articulate. This is a very well made and great sounding bass. I'll be looking forward to trying some half-rounds or flats on it down the road. I think I made a killing at $300 - this bass is easily worth twice that. I know they can be had for less - I recommend it highly. Of course it means living with the pointy headstock, but I've already got a Mockingbird - piece of cake!

I only have a pic from the auction so far. I'm pretty sure the speed knobs aren't original - I'll be getting domes shrtly.

Attached Files:

2. jangalang

jangalang

Oct 5, 2008
    Its an awesome bass I bought one late 80's early 90's an still have it will never let her go she's my Blue Baby.

3. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    Yeah,the speed knobs gotta go,but that is really a beauty. I love the architectural look of the headstock,too,and the way the shape is accented by the 2-tone color scheme. Congrats,yamaha makes some really nice basses,this sounds like a steal deal!

4. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Love it, especially the headstock.

I don't know anything about this model, but I had a 1996-ish BB jazz-ish bass with the same knobs. BBN4 i think?

Anyways they may be original.

5. I owned an RBX800A and an RBX550M until earlier this year. Very well made, light, interesting 3d headstock and great sounds from the active pickups. I do regret selling them now I suppose but I wasn't playing them so much.
    $300 is a good price for an RBX800A - this was the top of the range RBX bass from the late 80's early 90's.
    I sold mine for £200 this year - which is about $314.

This video shows what this bass is capable of:

6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    You know, I believe you may be right. Both my BB's have speed knobs as well and I'm sure they're straight. Though I prefer domes I think I'll leave them for now.