1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Yard Sale Find

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RickBlair, Oct 20, 2013.

1. I have almost never seen yard sale ads that list musical equipment but for some reason this year there were 2 in the last few months. Earlier this Summer I picked up a Takamine Jasmine ABG that I'm probably not going to keep because the ergonomics just don't work for me. Today I went to a sale that had both a Musicman SUB bass and a Hondo II. The SUB was only $125 but I'm not a Music Man guy so I passed on that one. I took the Hondo home. I found that the bridge pickup was dead so I fixed that and the body and frets hadn't been cleaned since 1990-forever so I did some sprucing up of the frets, bridge and body.

The bass is an obvious Gibson copy and the pickup covers were originally cream color so I may spend a few $ to get it back to original condition. The neck pickup has 1/2 P-bass pickup replacement so I may try to find an original pickup that has the adjustable poles. Body looks to be 2 pieces of mahogony split top-to-bottom rather than side-to-side. Neck is 3-piece maple.

Rick B.

P1010603_zps971c79f1.
    P1010602_zpsf164699d.
    P1010601_zpsb69b558b.

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Fun!

3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    looks closer to an s.d. curlee than a gibson to me. what's the scale length?

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Nice score congrats.

5. dantheman2

dantheman2

Nov 25, 2008
    A PP bass...

6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i would've taken the SUB at $125 even if you dont like it...

you could flip it on CL or ebay for $400 easily, no?

or better yet..... learn to love it!

either way thats a cool bass. congrats

7. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    SWEET! Does look like a S.D curlee which is very cool!

8. Yeah I would have got that sub to use as trade bait.

9. I think it's cool in a funky sort of way. It reminds me of the bass that Gene Simmons played for awhile (not the Grabber), but his was a single pickup with the bridge in a weird spot IMO.

I disagree with those who think it resembles a Curlee, because I'm kinda old feeling and grumpy. The similarities end with the pup/control arrangement. :)

Edit: I think Gene's bass I referred to was a LeBoe (sp?)

10. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Immigrant; He played a modified early Spector Bass. I think the added bridge was to help balance it out.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I agree with the others on the SUB, you could have tripled your money.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You're not joking, right? :rollno:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Gene Simmons bass Immigrant referred to was a bass built by the late Charlie LoBue, a luthier in NYC.

lobue%20gs2.

Pretty sure the Hondo came with DiMarzio Model P's. A very easy find.

14. He liked the Hondo, not the SUB. It might still be there if you're that desperate for it.

OP: nice bass, I hope you enjoy it! :)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Who gives a crap what bass he chose? Sheesh! A lot of you guys sure have a lot of emotional investment in what strangers on the internet do. Not healthy.

16. Hi.

Congrats, a nice score.

For what it's worth, given those choices I would've chosen the Hondo as well.

Regards
    Sam

17. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I would have been torn on that one. I would like to try a MM type but am a sucker for dookie off beat stuff and always wanted to give a P-P a go too. Nice score.

18. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    does the bass side of the bridge pup not have adjustable poles like the rest of the pups do? that can't be factory stock...

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    +1...

- georgestrings

20. +1,000,000,000,000 to the power of 73