1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Yay for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hover, Sep 26, 2013.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So I've been meaning to thin the herd for a while to just a few good workhorses that would run the gamut of classic tones I prefer. I've spent the better part of the past 15 years trading off, selling, or trading down for cash or what have you to pay the bills...and playing very good, but not (to me) top shelf stuff...but I'm finally in a position to just get those few choice pieces to have my vision of a well rounded stable, and this had caught my fancy, so I went and bought it just now.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBass66AgOwt/

Cannot wait for it to come in! Come ON TUESDAY!

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Looks great. I love matching headstocks!

3. JayDA

JayDA Space is deep Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Jersey
    Matching headstock for the win.....nice!

4. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Nice choice. I have been trying to consolidate a few instruments and get a new jazz bass too. I was looking at that one myself the other day.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wow...that is going to be a beast. We will of course expect photos and a full review!! Only 132 for North America..and you have one of them. That's cool.

6. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Nice bass. Get some lollipop tuners!

7. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Oh man, that is awesome!!

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the kind words gents, I am stoked. It's been a long time coming, pics and review, no doubt!

9. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just came in about 6 hours ago (of course right on my lunchbreak, so I had to wait until I got home from work...) She's a peach! Dang thing was in tune, right out of the box.
    Neck is almost perfectly flatsawn, as evidenced by the grain "rings" on the back. The fretboard is just gorgeous, stripey rosewood dolled up with the pearloid blocks. Frets are dressed nicely (fret 20 is not so polished tho, I can fix that!) I dialed the action down a tad from where it was, and man, this thing needs NOTHING. No buzz, nice and lively sounding acoustically, even across all the strings, perhaps barks / pipes up a bit on the G string, but I LIKE that...pups are nice and in the middle of mellow and zingy, (played through the headphones of my PF350). Throaty, warm, and just blloms when you dial the bridge pup back a little.

Nice, perfect gloss up and down this thing. Real nice tuners, thought they'd be F-stamped, but still, good action. Even the tort pickguard is nice and varied browns and reds....strings align over the pups beautifully, bridge is nicely "vintage", all in all it just ooozes "class". A real "gentleman's bass".

Next to it in the pic is my beloved P, which is an MIM body, a Warmoth Goncalo Alves neck with Pau Ferro fretboard, and a Warmoth Brown shell pickguard. Hipshot ultralites round it out. Just trying to decide on pups, and I should have a FINE classic stable.

Pinch me!

Attached Files:

10. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Killer man!

11. that is bad ass

12. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nice!

13. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Do you know what the fretboard radius is? Some websites list it as 9.5 and others as 7.25. I am looking to get a new jazz bass and I don't want one with the more rounded board. I just sold a MIM 60's jazz bass because of that.

14. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    Killer

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's definitely not a 7.25. It's real nice and comfy tho!

16. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Thanks for the info. I don't mind 7.25 in a wider neck, but not a jazz. If it's the standard 9.5 radius that would be perfect.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sweet bass!

18. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Awfully purdy. Enjoy!

19. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    That aged white is kinda cool. Congratulations, mang!

20. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Beautiful bass man!

Cheers!

MJW