1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Yet Another Craigslist Steal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minirehak 212, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Well I was searching around CL and I found an ad for a Squier Affinity Jazz for 60 bucks. After talking with the guy he said it was "for parts, not working" because a couple strings were broke and a volume pot was loose. So I quickly called the guy and picked it up. Took about a second to fix the pot. I cleaned it up all nice and threw a set of DR Hi Beams on it and it's pretty nice. I never thought I'd own a Squier but for this cheap I couldn't pass it up. No pics no bass I know so here yall go 20160206_134310. 20160206_140624. 20160206_134322. 20160206_134344.

Marial, Ken J, dralionux and 8 others like this.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice score. Congrats.

3. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Thank you. I was surprised how clean this bass was for being so cheap. It hardly has any scratches and the only noticeable defect was a crack in the finish on the bottom by the control plate. Other than that's it's basically new

4. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Nice.

shadowtippy and Minirehak 212 like this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    A no brainer and looks good too.

Minirehak 212 likes this.
  6. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    It plays great too. Action is as low as it could possibly be and feels really good when playing. Honestly does not feel like a sub 200$ bass. When I saw it I was thinking about fixing it up and flipping it but I just might keep it

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Easy to fall in love when they turn out that way.

8. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Nice one! Gonna flip it?

9. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I don't know it's kinda growing on me. I'm still torn 50/50 on it. I know in the condition I could sell it maybe for 120-130 but it sounds pretty good and I don't have a beater bass. Dropping 60 bucks on a nearly new bass isn't too much of a hit on my wallet so it all depends

10. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    good find, i picked up a affinity squier at my local store and was very impressed. I almost bought it, it was worth every penny of $170. It actually made me buy another jazz, a car vm 70's jazz. Congrats!

11. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Can't beat that for $60. Nicely done!

12. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Would anyone know of a direct PG replacement for this? I'd want to get a 3 ply wbw but I'm not too sure how to find one

13. Solar

Solar

Jun 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Pickguards are kind of a pain unless it's mia. You have to be careful about years, models, all that. It can be a real hit or miss.

But I know you can send a tracing of the pickguard to greasy groove and they can make you a custom one. But it may take awhile, and it may cost more than the bass itself.

14. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Yeah I don't want to pay too much for something I'm putting on a 60$ bass. The one ply white is alright but I just think it would look better with a 3. It's not a big deal really thank you :)

Solar likes this.
  15. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    It's $60 dollar bass. Just get any pickguard you like and drill holes in the body to match the pickguard. Unless you don't want to hurt the value.;)

16. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    Definitely tort BTW.

17. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Well it's not the holes I'm worried about but it fitting nice and tight at the neck, pickup and control plate. I'm not looking to spend a whole day shaping a pg to fit.
    And there is no way I'd ever get a tort anything. I hate it so much, just an ugly thing to look at

JustForSport and JiJ like this.
  18. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    No problem. I have shaped a few pick guards with a dremel tool and it took me a half hour.

19. You can look at it two ways. With what you paid for the bass and strings, even if you spend $50 on a 'guard you've still got a decent bass for $130 or so.

On the other hand, why would you bother spending too much on a 'guard...... particularly one that's the same colour? FFS, run around the edge of it with a black sharpie and it'll look like a 3-ply. ;)

If you were going to put on a red-black-red 'guard, then that's different.:D

20. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    You do have a point. I would be getting something that only I would notice. That red/black/red sounds like it would look killer. I loves me some red.
    This is bass number 8 for me so I'm not concerned about making it too "perfect".