1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by DukeCC, Jan 25, 2019.

1. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    The Blast Cult in the foreground is the new one. I plunked around on it last night. Gigging with it tonight. BC Lowlife strings. Mono pickup. I believe it is the hi-fi cartridge.
    Tobacco sunburst. Single sound post.

Attached Files:

2. Is the the BC from the listing here?

3. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Yes it is.

I played the bar gig with it on Friday. I would say that it does reject feedback somewhat better than the average DB (mainly a guess, though), but it was not sufficient for this setup. This was a smaller club, crowd of about 100, PA was just a set of Mackie powered 15's, with a couple powered monitors. The acoustics weren't terrible. I just couldn't get loud enough wit the eq-set fairly flat. Band is drums, lead guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass. Thankfully the Bassman 800 has the one parametric EQ. Using that I was able to get enough volume out of it to play. I did have to run through the PA to add a little support. My stage volume was very low. This was with the Blast Cult mono pickup, Hi-Fi cartridge.

We're not known as an exceptionally loud band, and our overall stage volume is usually well in control, as it was Friday.

For Saturday I switched out the Hi-Fi for the Shadow RB preamp and just the bridge pickup. This probably gave me similar feedback rejection as I get with the CCB and its stuffed f-holes. I'll know better at the next bar gig.

As far as tone and slapping, I still have some tweaking to do. The action is still a little low--I'll raise that up a bit. Hopefully after a couple more gigs I'll have a better idea. I did very little slapping on Saturday--the set list was a little more reserved for that theater show.

The tone may be fine--I just can't hear it, lol. I'm probably leaning towards having more of a gut tone anyway, so I don't really expect to keep the Lowlifes long-term.

saabfender likes this.
  4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Congrats on the new bass - hope it works the way you need it to.

5. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks! Hopefully we can get along, lol. I don't want to throw too much (more) money at it. I'll probably keep using the Shadow RB while I work on play-ability (string height/strings) and then see where I end up tone-wise. If I don't end up with impressive tone vs feedback control I'll feel disappointed (and then probably seek professional help!)

6. Or sell it to me, I’ll turn that thing into a beast!

7. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Everything (almost) that I have is for sale at the right price!

DonaldFraser likes this.
  8. Well see how you like the Blast Cult. If it doesn’t work out, get in touch with me. I’ve always been a fan of the KDB/BC builds.

9. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Update no. 2:
    Played bar gig no. 2 with it. I tweaked the preamp to minimize feedback as much as possible. I got it even just a little bit louder. I am now leaning towards it not quite rejecting feedback as well as 'Blackie' with the stuffed f-holes, though.
    I raised the bridge a bit more and got it slapping acceptably. Probably about as well as the steel strings will allow. I could adjust to the at this point, I believe.
    However, those strings just aren't the tone I'm looking for. So I still need to pry my wallet open and get the Evah gold slaps.
    I'm also looking at getting a set of Doug's Plugs for the f-holes. Pricey, but they should fit and look better than the homemade ones on Blackie. I do hate to cover up the pinstripes.

10. Or just sell her to me....;)

11. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    The last 2 gigs the thing has just been booming through the PA (one ours, one house) and behaving decently in the monitors. I've cut the lows almost completely on the preamp, and still cutting the mids with the amp.
    Last night I put the Evah Slaps on it--well I put 3 of 4 on. I put the E on and it sounded a little dead. I put the D and G on and liked them really well. I tuned it up and plinked on it a while. The BC Lowlife A string sounded really good acoustically. The Evah synthetic E was still on the dead side. I'm going to gig with it like that and see how it goes. They seem to play really well together across the fingerboard. The E seems to slap a little hard--I'll tinker with the bridge height.
    (I'm wondering if I should go all gut--we'll see.)

12. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    I just realized what might be contributing to my thin sounding E string. I noticed the foot of the bridge on the bass side is not making good, full contact with the top. I'll have them look at that when I get it in the shop to add back the 2nd sound post.

Which is another whole thing--why even worry about acoustic tone if I'm going to deaden the top, right? But I do want to get it as balanced as it can be, and get that bridge vibrating fully. So there's that. I may tinker with pickup positioning-we'll see.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice looking ax! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

14. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks! Really liking it so far.

JRA likes this.
  15. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    One wrap-up post before the statute of limitations runs out and I have to change the thread title to OBD:

No major changes after the gigs Fri/Sat. The D and G strings are definitely an improvement. The E string behaved itself (the thicker gauge is helping there, methinks) and the old A was fine as well. I'm a big believer in the idea that all these subtle differences heard solo get lost in the mix anyway, and that was definitely true this weekend--even with our smaller ~ 4,000 watt PA. However, I did hear the A cutting through a bit.

I'll go ahead and change out the A and go from there. It'll be interesting to see if the new one sounds as good as the old.

As far as the bass--the subject of this post, after all--I think it is a keeper. We have a recording date this weekend--I'll wait until after to decide for sure if I'll add the second sound post. I have the bridge foot to clean up as well, which should help with the acoustic tone.

If it turns out that the bass has a good acoustic recorded sound I will probably skip adding the second sound post and maybe get a set of f-hole plugs instead.

Happy Thumping!

16. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    Are you using any backline?
    If so, what is it?

17. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    I've been using a Fender Bassman 800 into one of their Neo 410 cabinets.

18. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    A notch filter could really solve most of your feedback issues. Just my .02

19. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    I don't disagree.

I'm thinking about building the parametric EQ off BYOC.com. It has the narrow Q settings for each channel of EQ. We'll see.

I'm getting more than acceptable results as-is. Just looking to be able to fine-tune things a little more.

20. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    She's purdy. I'm waiting to see what changes the new guy makes and then I might go for one. Has to be blonde though...that's a dealbreaker, just ask the guys at Upton. Had the cash for a custom Bohemian but they wouldn't resurrect the swing bass for me

Edit: I understand their reasoning though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021