NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, May 18, 2021.

1. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Been Jonezin for one of these for quite awhile. Everyone knows what it is. I am the egg man! Now to start learning all those Beatles’ tunes! 4D6FA1E3-E8B9-4B64-9F91-1CA60734E02B.jpeg 9946C6C1-2C94-4370-A7F7-90E9BEF095CD.jpeg 18DBF915-C090-42E7-A92F-5702D316D428.jpeg

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Looks nice.
    I'd say you need to correctly position the bridge, both for intonation and to get the string spacing correct.

westrock, Solarmist, lark_z and 6 others like this.
  3. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Yep! That’s fresh out of the box! Lol! Waiting for my La Bella Flats to set it up!:thumbsup:

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Nice, congrats!

Spidey2112 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Thanks KF!:thumbsup:

6. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I see a lot of Hofners with the bridge like that, there's not much adjustment with those little things. I had one years ago but don't remember how I adjusted it if I even did.

7. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    It was quite easy. Got out my measuring tape and adjusted it to 30.5” scale.

8. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I went from a long scale Japanese POS with high action to the Hofner and played so hard on the poor thing all the bridge things popped out. :laugh: I was about 17-18.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Don't you get short with us, mister!*

*Looks great, Itsy! Enjoy!

10. It's funny, Geoff over at Fanblade Instruments just did a Youtube series on the one he just got. The first thing he did was rip that bridge off and redo the whole mess. :roflmao:

11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Lol!:laugh:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Man I am blown away by this bass. Was expecting a subdued cardboard like sound. What I got is thick rich tastiness! This thing swings in the same park as my Jack Casady.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congratulations on your new ax, eats! it's the bomb! :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. Nice fiddleback maple. I learned to play bass on one of those.:cool:

15. Don't they sell little slotted saddles for this type of bridge? I know I'd want to put those in.

Congrats on your new bass, OP! I gather the flats will yield some nice tones.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Thanks B4B!

Bass4Brkfast likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nobody asked, but here's what I do with violin basses to get them playing in tune.

1. Intonate the G and E strings as close as you can to perfect.

2. Don't worry so much about the intonation not being perfect on the D or A strings. Intonation on shorties doesn't have to be a perfect science for them to play in tune. All you have to do is tune the A and E string by fretting them at the 5th fret and trying to get those notes in tune. Notes on a shortie will lose pitch as they decay on those lower strings if you hit the strings a little too hard, so tuning this way seems to make it play in tune the best.

3. Good call on the LaBellas, I can usually get at least 3 of them to be intonated correctly. A string sometimes is a tad off, but refer to #2 in those cases.

18. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Great info. :thumbsup:

JimmyM and BBassBassington like this.
  19. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Glad you got something you like! Bass on :)

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I remember when those first came out! Rock it in good health! :bassist:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022