1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Yesterday, I bought & received a used Conklin GTBD-7 ($900 incl shipping). Since I knew it was used, I assumed it would be all marked up, etc. Aside from a little buckle rash and some signs of it having been worn, the Purpleburst finish is quite spectacular. It has been mentioned before on TB and I'll support their comment. Online pictures do not do this bass justice. You actually need to see this bass to truly appreciate it.

Also, since it was used, I assumed I would need to have it set up. As it turns out, the bass is set up perfectly. The action is already set low which happens to be my preference and the intonation is already set.

ConklinGTBD-7.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Great score! Looks sweet even in your picture, and the perfect setup is icing on the cake.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nice.

4. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    very nice! i have a GT 7 in a blue burst finish. they're very good basses.

i think Mr. Turner now has a billion Conklins? or are you up to two billion now?

5. Blue? I have never seen a blue GT-7. They're usually either the wine or natural maple finish. Did you have the bass refinished? I'd love to see a pic of that bass. (The purchase of one 7-string has me excited about the possibility of a second which I would tune down to F#.)

I totally get Mr. Turner's fascination with Conklin. I could easily become a Conklin-guy, myself.

6. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    urm...... here.

2ff75c21.

not the best picture, but every time i'm about to get a new digi-cam i end up getting distracted by some pedal or bass or something. best camera in my house is ze iphone right now.

that's the original finish as far as i can tell. i bought it off somebody that told me that had Conklin sent it to them as a "do you want to be an endorser" gift. but Mssr. Turner said that was probably some bull****. so.... yeah.

but it's an awesome bass.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

It's blue, all right.

P.S. Love the Aphex Twin sticker! [​IMG]

8. Well, the finish is an original design anyway. Hey, all my instrument photos on TB were taken with my iPhone as well. Not the best quality, but it's quick & easy. I think my photo on this thread turned out ok.

9. I wanted to share another experience related to this purchase. I decided that I needed a case to protect the instrument. Having read some terrible online reviews of the Groove Tools case, I decided to order one directly from Conklin to go with my GTBD-7. Who replied to my email? Bill Conklin, himself. The man should be designing/building hot basses. Meanwhile he took the time to answer my email concerning a case. When I realized who was emailing me, I had some questions about the controls of the BDGT-7 and I let him know that I would love to order a custom bass through Conklin someday. His reply included a PDF wiring schematic for the BDGT-7's controls and replied "We look forward to the opportunity to build a Custom Shop bass for you someday." Very good customer service. I really hope that day will come sooner than later.

10. I hate a (very nicely) defretted GT-7 for a while. Well built, but I could find no use for the 7th string (high or low) and ended up parting with it. For an import bass though, it was very impressive, and had it been a 6 I'd definetly still have it. I can only assume that upgrading to the BD it oculd onyl get better. Congrats!

11. Thanks! I am enjoying this bass more and more each day. I like the F string. Within a vertical span of 4 frets, you basically have a 3 octave range. Once I realized it was Bill, I wrote, "I understand this is an instrument licensed for overseas production. However, if this instrument is any indication of Conklin's quality, I am greatly impressed."

12. This is true, but my equipment just couldn't replicate those super low notes and I don't play any higher than a 24 fret 6'er could manage. I am also really trying to break myself of the habit of playing all my scales vertically. I definetly saw the utility of it for those that needed it.

Also, I have no doubt in my mind that if this is the "cheap" Conklin, the real deal must be truly amazing. Hope to play one some day.