1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBDx2 MIJ Ibanez RD707 and Indo Squier Tele Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Jun 12, 2014.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    So I recently purchased an Ibanez RD707 off the TB Classifieds, and a Squier Tele Bass Special from MF ( got a wicked discount). Lo and behold, both arrived today! Today was better than every Christmas morning I've had for the past five years lumped together.

Let's start with the Squier, since it arrived first.

This thing is really something. It is like three basses at the flick of a switch. Deep and rumbly, then full and round, then tight and barky. Was going to mod the switch out, but I may keep it. The neck feels amazing, I love the gloss and the medium scale (not as big a reach for like an F#m chord or anything like that). There are a few finish flaws, mainly around the bridge pickup rout, but, the overall finish, I am VERY pleased with (the blonde is actually translucent!!) I will say though, the bridge pickup is pretty overpowered by the neck humbucker, and I am definitely looking into replacing it, maybe with a SD hot stack or something like that. Tonally, this thing is a killer. I will be keeping it for awhile. Easily a 7/10, maybe even an 8/10.

Next the Ibanez.

When I unboxed it, I immediately noticed all of the cosmetic flaws. There were plenty. Not that they were not documented in the sale, but it's different when you are seeing it with your own eyes. I don't particularly mind them at all, they give the bass character. When I plugged it in, the jack was cutting out, and the pots were scratchy. Pulled out the Deoxit and went to town. Cleaned right on up! Tuned it up correctly, and played a little. Dead strings. Threw some EB Hybrid Slinkys on, and the tone opened up. This thing has aggressive tone for days, but can be subdued with a little work of the tone knob. Playability was suspect at first, but after raising the action slightly, I felt the bass become more "mine" and I could play it with much less concentration, and much more emotion. Very versatile, very comfortable. I still think I need to warm up to it some, but it looks promising! I'd give it a 6.5/10 for now, but that could easily change once I figure it out so to speak.

Pics to come!

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    0612141531-00. 0612141530-01. 0612141530-00. 0612141529-00. 0612141529-01. 0612141528-00. 0612141431-00.

Attached Files:

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Sorry for my wonderful cell phone quality :p