1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBTWBPFM80sPD: RBX5-A2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Bigboote, Apr 25, 2010.

1. New Bass That Will Be Perfect For My 80s Project Day!

IMG_0639.

This one's been languishing at Best Buy since... well, since they were still being produced, I guess. They were asking $389 on clearance (they had two!). I offered $300 to take it off their hands, so it wouldn't languish in their inventory for another year-and-a-half. Done, and done! Now to find out if it has any of those pesky trussrod or nut issues (I've got a 30-day return if I don't like it or if there's a problem.

:hyper:,

-jb

BTW, if anyone has one of these and recommends some strings that aren't quite so clangy, I'd love to hear 'em!

2. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Wait, I'm confused. Did Yamaha discontinue the RBX4A2/5A2 series? I thought that was one of their newest lines.

Anyway, nice bass. As for strings, how about flats?

3. AFAIK, they were discontinued around 10/08. A good year-and-a-half ago, to be sure.

As for flats, I'm not so sure I want to go that far. I have flats on my P and love 'em, more likely half-rounds or nickels or sumpin' for this one. But I'm hoping someone who has this bass and has found something they're really happy with (and found the stocks too clangy) will chime in.

-jb

4. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    That's odd. Yamaha's site doesn't say the bass is no longer made. I always thought they were still in production.

For what it's worth, the strings I use are GHS Bass Boomers. Yes, they are clanky at first like all roundwound strings but they do mellow out after a while. Maybe halfwounds or tapewounds (like you suggested) would work, but I know nothing about those as I don't use them.

5. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    That bass is really nice...

6. I understand strings are a very personal thing, and no offense intended, but I can't stand Boomers. Had 'em on one 4-stringer, waited for them to break in, and never did to my satisfaction. I need a *much* deader string than that. For example, I like D'Addario Half-Rounds a lot. I have DR Longnecks on my other 5; they're fine too. But the Boomers drove me nuts.

-jb

7. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Understood, and no offense taken. Hey, I didn't make them, and if anything I am one of the few people that like them.

I guess the D'Addarios would work then, or are they still too bright?

8. Well, again, I'm looking for recommendations from people who actually *have* this bass, and have found something that works well with it, but isn't nearly as clangy as the stock strings (or Boomers!).

-jb

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've never played one, but admire its coolness.

10. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    nice! i almost bought the guitar version at guitar center a few years ago but it was less than taken care of there. looks great!

11. Okay, a quick follow-up: First, I admit that looks (and previous reviews) had a lot to do with my purchase of this bass. I *am* working on starting up an '80s project, and this is one of the only (more or less) currently available five-strings (considered a Steinberger Spirit) that would look right at home for that gig. I tried it a few weeks ago at said BB with headphones (mostly to block out the wankers and other background noise), enough to know that the sound was workable. Well, this afternoon I got it plugged into my rig (shown in the photo) and...

Oh. My. God.

A huge range of usable tones. More than any of my (five) other basses. Even with the stock strings (which are less of a problem through the amp than they were through the 'phones). I have a Jazz, a P, an active P/J, a P/Piezo fretless and an active w/ soaps, and this one just might outdo 'em all. At this point, I'm not even concerned with replacing the strings (interesting note: the A string was obviously replaced; no silk wrap, and the wind is reverse of the other four -- is it possible someone broke an A string in the shop???). There is 60-cycle hum, which is a minor bummer, but I wouldn't dream of replacing these pickups because of it.

Now time to go do a proper set-up. I'm seriously considering going to buy the other (dinged up) one they have, for a backup.

Woohoo,

-jb

12. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Dude!!! Very nice!!! I am trying to find one of these as we speak.

13. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Found one! My Best Buy had two in stock as well. $389 clearance! Nice!!!!!