1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBUD Yamaha Jr. guitar conversion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kohanmike, Jan 9, 2017.

1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

This is my newly converted bass ukulele from a Yamaha APTX2 Jr. 22.5" scale guitar. It has three pickups, a disc under the soundboard and two under the bridge area. I used LargeSound Deluxe Elastomeric tuners (I know, I'll cut off the excess after they settle in, which takes a while). The poly Road Toad Pahoehoe strings sound pretty good.

Yamaha APTX2 800.
    Yamahalele 800.
    Yahamalele tuners.

Rabidhamster, BassmanM and HaphAsSard like this.
  2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

So, how does it sound?

And how does it stand up to Kala and Goldtone?

Rabidhamster likes this.
  3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Looks cool! Did you have to reposition the saddle?

4. kohanmike

I didn't realize it has basically a microphone pickup inside under the bridge so it has terrible feedback. I'm going to see if that can be replaced with a ribbon pickup under the saddle. It actually plays well when I'm far enough away from the amp and not to high volume.

No, but did have to use a taller saddle and had new holes drilled in the bridge.

5. steve_rolfeca

Hmmm....

This gets me thinking about all sorts of goofy projects.

The original Ashbory "rubber bass' came about because a luthier in England used to test his pickup prototypes by stretching a piece of surgical tubing over the piezo element.

There are lots of nice 12 and 14 fret short-scale acoustic guitars out there, many with larger bodies than your APTX.

The tops are over-braced for the low tension of U-Bass strings, but still...

6. steve_rolfeca

This is the part that surprises me the most- so it intonates correctly at the higher frets, even though you've switched from steel to urethane/nylon strings?

7. kohanmike

I just checked for your question and I'm surprised that the intonation is good, better than some of my other bass ukes.