1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBW - After missing out on this at MusicGoRound 6 years ago I got it off local craigslist!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by candiehappy, Nov 21, 2020.

1. candiehappy

candiehappy

Oct 21, 2011
    The guy I bought it from said it came from our local Music Go Round. I had went to buy it and it was gone when I got there. I finally got it 6 years later.

I also found out what the second non-stock switch (square shaped one) is and how it got there thanks to a really old post on here.

Apparently Greg Curbow was selling these directly or upgrading one you sent into him with a custom 4 coil pickup and added a 3 way coil selector switch ( the squared off one ). I am very fortunate to have this in my collection now, being that I am in Atlanta and all.

The flash is showing lots of little dust particles in the pictures, the luthite body is flawless and the neck only shows minor dents from the round wounds on the B string around frets 5 - 7.

I am going to put flats on it next week. It plays fast and smooth. Neck is like an Ibanez wizard neck thickness wise. The only thing I am not a fan of is the narrowness of the neck. I am used to much wider necks on my other basses and my hand feels scrunched up playing this one. I will adapt, I am going to play this one a lot.

Yes, that is the original hard shell case as well from 1999!

A9CF5CF1-CA69-476A-95EE-07709C4DEF2Bremote0c37d6f4e848c844f53339443446252958525987-1-original.jpeg 400F5A11-3648-4C04-968D-42195D412305remotef7c6c4e5112b1f513969f3a11d232b35661dda2f-1-original.jpeg 187F8CFA-7ECA-4AA9-8F72-C990F7208A9Fremote5058b346d9e3931735d69e454c0ef16c56f2e113-1-original.jpeg 28367959-0FD4-4F27-B8BD-EF3509DE9ACAremote9de65f5fa0a0d6c70adcc78a55b39b3192cedc9f-1-original.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    dbsfgyd1, RSBBass, Supadope and 29 others like this.
  2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I can smell it from here! Ahh nostalgia. Very cool bass, have fun.

andruca and candiehappy like this.
  3. candiehappy

candiehappy

Oct 21, 2011
    Has no luthite smell, it has been 20+ years! The case has a "been sitting in a humid closet/basement" smell maybe, but then again GA is very humid year round.:) Either way some Frebreeze will clear that up.

Sid the Kid likes this.
  4. I've own a few and never noticed any smell.
    Not that I'm in the habit of sniffing basses, if I was there's no way in hell I'd tell anybody :thumbsup:

Supadope, Clark W and Sid the Kid like this.
  5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I think it was 2001 when I had mine, must have been fresher or something? That new bass smell! I had a blue 5 and the fake burled fretless 5. It was impossible NOT to smell them.

Glad they aren’t stinking now!

6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    These are cool little basses. I have had a 2001 blue 4 string since 2006. The deal included a Peavy Microbass amp and case for the bass as well. Very happy with the whole group. :)

7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Used to have the blue 4 string. Late 99 I think. Sold that one off quickly.

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I had one just like this back in 2003-2005.
    I had the polite Bart removed and a Carvin HB-5 put in by a local store.

When I went to pick it up the repairman made much drama about the smell of Luthite when he routed out the cavity for the new pickup!
    refinery.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    What’s Luthite?

farmertom, Zooberwerx and telecopy like this.
  10. It's okay, you can tell us.

Clark W and HolmeBass like this.
  11. Maybe he was hoping for an Oscar :laugh:

It's a synthetic material developed in the US as a substitute for wood, used by Cort and Ibanez. The Cort Curbow also had an Ebonol fretboard, another synthetic material.

Not a chance :thumbsup:

instrumentalist and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    gebass6 likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

learned a lot about smelling basses in this thread! :D your ax looks great --- perfect color! --- and it's gotta be a player! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It's essentially Bondo molded into the shape of a bass...the Ibanez Ergodyne used the same approach. If you remove the neck, you can actually chip-out a small chunk with your finger nail.

I'm gonna try the same approach with a couple cans of aerosol foam sealant...have to factor-in the expansion. When injected into a confined space, the stuff will actually deform the enclosing surfaces.

Riis

Rabidhamster and roswell1965 like this.
  15. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    My guitarist always buys guitars with nitro finishes and loves the new nitro smell. A while back he got a Flying V.

We always make fun of him about sniffing his V.

kodiakblair and Cowboy in Latvia like this.
  16. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    That's great that you found it. It looks like it's in great shape for its age.

17. roswell1965

roswell1965

Mar 5, 2002
    The Gibson Sonex as well? Oh wait.. this is a bass forum. :)

Zooberwerx likes this.
  18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Except that it's petroleum based.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  19. Looks like an Ibanez body with an LTD/ESP headstock. I believe Ibanez shares a factory with Cort - does LTD/ESP share one as well?

Regardless - looks cool! A buddy of mine had one of the Ibanez Ergodyne basses. I thought it was a pretty good bass at the time, but it’s been about 15 years, and I’ve learned plenty since then. Wonder what I’d think now?

20. roswell1965

roswell1965

Mar 5, 2002
    Even better! I like petroleum.

kodiakblair likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 5, 2021