1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football 2013 - Week 11

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Nov 4, 2013.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We have games starting on Tuesday this week, crazy.

Dartmouth is at home and on national TV this weekend against Cornell. I'm uber excited about that.

Florida plays Vanderbilt, which in the past is a gimmie. Not so much this season.

Two great games Thursday night in Oregon at Stanford and Oklahoma at Baylor.

For Saturday, I suppose LSU at Bama will be worth a watch.

-Mike

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    This could easily be the year the Gators finally lose to Vandy. If they do, UF is looking at its first losing season since 1979*, because there's no way we're beating South Carolina or FSU.

*I believe UF has the longest current streak in college football without a losing season.

I'll be rooting for Stanford to knock off Oregon again. Might be the best chance left for an undefeated team to lose this season.

Bama should take care of LSU at home.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This; I really wanna see Bama-FSU in the BCS Championship game because I know both teams would clean Oregon's clock.

Thursday is going to be insane but I am all kinds of nervous about the Oklahoma-Baylor game. As much as I love my alma mater I am fully expecting them to lose to Baylor; this Bears team is just way too loaded and OU's defense has been quite porous since losing Nelson, Millard, and Phillips.

Bama-LSU could be interesting, I guess. Sorta. I'll be at Wurstfest and camping this weekend so I'm gonna be out of the loop until Sunday night.

4. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Anyone else tired of the Oregon and FSU flip flopping at #2?

-Mike

5. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's gonna be that way until one of them loses. Again, I'm hoping it's Oregon so we can have Bama-FSU go at it.

I'd also like to see Oregon-Baylor, they'd score over 120 combined points :D

6. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oregon puts up big stats and points against weak competition game after game, gathers lots of hype, pundits say they pass the "eye test" (and ignore the level of competition). Then when they run into a team that can actually block and tackle well, all the pretty numbers become ordinary and they lose. Where have I seen this movie before?

And oh, how the media tried so hard to convince us the ucks had a D this year...

7. Stanford made sure regon didn't have an O tonight either. :)

After that game, my Seminoles in Tallahassee are sending their warmest regards to The Cardinal in Palo Alto.

8. ^^^^^^

yeah, everything Greg said

mistakenly put this post in the wrong week:

Suck a Duck...

i don't usually like the word "exposed" as it is used in sports, but i think it is totally appropriate tonight...

the Oregon ducks were exposed...they have not really played anybody and Stanford just held them to 2 offensive touchdowns...it wouldn't have even been as close as it was without that flukey blocked kick return

looks like florida state vs alabama for now...let's see if both can hold on

davesignatureII-1.

9. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No more Oregon/FSU flip flopping. Thank you Stanford. The Ducks fans around here are obnoxious, so now they will be forced to quiet down. No BCSCG for you!

I watched some of the Baylor game. They are better than I thought they were.

Has anyone else noticed that Urban Meyer is undefeated at OSU?

-Mike

10. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Am I still allowed around here? :D

I watched almost all the Oregon game last night. As much as I'd love to bash the Ducks, gosh they just looked flat. It's as if they didn't even want to be playing right from the start. Maybe they thought they could just show up and win.

I pulled for Oregon the first half...just because I would also liked to have seen a potential Bama/Oregon game down the road...not sure why though. Oregon's defensive line looked tiny compared to Stanford's Oline. It probably would be much worse for Oregon playing Bama since we can also throw the ball and have bigger linemen than Stanford. I have always liked Stanford, so at halftime I just decided to pull for them.

But...I can't get excited at this point about a potential Bama/FSU game either. I don't know why...the thought of it just doesn't really do anything for me. There's still plenty of football left though, and I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped a game...maybe this weekend or against Auburn.

You Gators are taking it on the chin this year. The injuries have been beyond horrible, but even with that the product Muschamp is putting on the field is beyond excuse. He better figure it out by next year or he'll be gone. I guess this is why you don't hire unproven head coaches at schools like Florida. There's really no reason to do that...they should have the power to go out and get someone with a track record.

11. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    And Oregon re-learns the cold, hard fact that touchdown swapping is not really football.

"We want Bama".

Really? I think not.

12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well, you've never not been allowed. You commented a few weeks ago about not being all that interested and being busy, so I just figured you moved on to other matters in life.

If Bama/FSU doesn't float your boat, assuming Bama makes it to the BCSCG, what opponent would get you excited?

I agree on Muschamp. The injuries are one thing. The pathetic offense and lack of discipline are all on him. I didn't like the hire from day one, but I was willing to give it a chance. It's not like the state of Florida is lacking in quality football players coming out of high school. If he was coaching in North Dakota, then I'd cut him some slack.

-Mike

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Lots of us Ducks fans (and I'll bet many of the players) saw this coming when Mariota got his knee blown out in the UCLA game. He took a severe beating in that game. He didn't even try to run at all last night, save one time. Dennis Dixon, part two -- hopefully not as severe a case though. Don't think it actually mattered that much against Stanford though. ;)

14. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Totally agree on all counts. He really should be gone this year. Failing to crack the top 100 on offense in any of your first three years should be grounds for firing at virtually any BCS conference school, much less UF. And then there's the sickening lack of discipline.

After Zook and Muschamp, there should be NO WAY Florida hires someone without head coaching experience for a very long time.

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I think their are pros and cons to that style of football...flag football in pads so to speak. It makes you really look strong against weaker teams. Oregon has talent and they can just walk away from lesser competition. I think it also allows teams to beat stronger teams as long as there is a matchup advantage somewhere against the defense. It didn't seem Oregon had that even if they were flat.

I'm trying not to be one of those Bama guys that bashes them for losing to Stanford, but I LOVE Stanford's style of play. I just think that kind of football, or at least building that kind of program over time, is what gives you the best chance for success. High-paced, no-huddle crap is for smaller schools who can't pull in the talent. Oregon needs to abandon that silly mess IMHO. They're wasting time. I feel the same way about Auburn. They could beat Bama this year with it but that won't prove anything to me if they do. That style of offense is too dependent on having a super star player, usually at QB, to be successful. Newton at Auburn, Tebow at Florida, Mariota at Oregon (who didn't show up last night), Manziel at A&M, etc. I'm still not buying stock in these offenses.

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Just tongue in cheek in my part. I'm still thinking about football off and on all day long. Just trying not to waste so much time discussing it here when I should be working. :D

I can't think of another honestly. Oregon had appeal just because of the whole West Coast/SEC matchup between the fan bases and style of play. FSU is likely the best team around IMO right now, so it'll build up for me if we both keep winning. I wouldn't mind smacking Ohio State around but I suspect it would be a very lopsided game and boring to watch.

I'd like to play Baylor. I'd LOVE to play Stanford...doubt it'll happen though.

17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    As for Muschamp, I'm expecting he'll be back next year even if he loses the rest of their games. But next year it's really do or die for him, and he'll be gone. Petrino will be closer to becoming a neutral hire though I don't think Florida would pick him up. Texas on the other hand might.

Florida needs to go get Charlie Strong and call it day though.

18. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Petrino??!! Oh God, no! They better stay far away from that dirtbag.

Charlie is of course the best answer, the perfect fit. I hope Jeremy Foley, our AD, will call him very soon. Another painfully bad performance today by the Gators, the first loss to Vandy since 1988--first time we've lost to them in the Swamp since the 1940s.:rollno:

19. well...another double header today and sitting back, relaxing for the Bama-LSU game....the rednecks were shocked by Auburn and for only the first time since 1945 (or something), my Vandy Commodores go into gainesville and come out with a win

there was lots of talk about how the rednecks were "turning the corner" up until 3 weeks ago...now...not so much...

let's see what the rest of the season holds for us

davesignatureII-1.

20. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm confused by this season. OU has mostly new starters on defense and (allegedly) loads of offensive talent this year so they were expected to be rebuilding with a weak defense and average offense. Instead we've got a pretty solid defense and no offense to speak of. I'm honestly surprised OU's been as successful as they have been. I knew we were going to lose to Baylor but I at least expected more points to go on the board. If only Baylor would win out so Texas doesn't win the Big 12 this year....

And I'm super stoked that Stanford roasted the Ducks again :D