1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football 2013 - Week 8

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 14, 2013.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Another Gator goes down for the season. This time it's Matt Jones. What a bummer for him. I think Florida has their hands full with Missouri.

FSU/CLE game of the week? I think UCLA/STA will be a good one too.

Dartmouth hosts Bucknell this week.

-Mike

2. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Mike, I think we caught a break with Franklin out. And I don't think the Gators will take them lightly given the pathetic performance by the offense vs. LSU. That said, a new QB is always an X factor who could swing the game one way or another. I expect the Gators to blitz even more than usual.

FSU/CLE is definitely the game of the week. Biggest game in the ACC since...? Mid-2000s?

4. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I was thinking the same about Missouri. Tough break for these Tigers, but it should play in our favor. Any guesses on which Gator goes down for this season with an injury this weekend? :D

-Mike

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Another +1 for FSU/CLE as game of the week.

Pretty one-sided week in the Big 12 minus 2. OU goes to Kansas, Iowa State goes to Baylor, Texas Tech goes to West Virginia, TCU goes to OK State (which actually might be pretty good), and Texas and K State have bye week.

I'd also chalk up UCLA-Stanford as a game to watch this week, since it'll show if UCLA is the real deal and whether or not Stanford's loss to Utah last week was a fluke.

6. I'm looking forward to watching Oregon play this weekend

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The pink helmets, or do you want to see them score 100?

-Mike

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Auburn and Texas A&M should be a good game too.

-Mike

9. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    WHOA! Down goes Louisville tonight. I didn't see that coming, at home even. Fun game to watch though.

-Mike

10. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    It's official, the Gators stink. Their offense is terrible, their OL is a complete joke, and now the defense is weakening. I could see both Georgia and (especially) FSU pounding them and USCe beating them.

Muschamp has to get at least seven wins to survive, IMO, which means beating Georgia Southern, Vandy (far from a sure thing at this point) and one of the above three. I don't see it happening. Hope Charlie Strong will come back to Gainesville.

Crazy day in the SEC today. Down go UGA, LSU and A&M (which has no defense this year).

11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Coach Boom? Blah. No thanks.

Bummer weekend for me overall. Dartmouth played at home and lost.

-Mike

12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sad news for college football fans, especially for University of Washington fans. Former coach Don James has passed away due to cancer. The Dawgfather was *the man* around these parts for years.

Thanks for the memories Coach James!

-Mike

13. it was both :D

14. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Man, so much for FSU-Clemson being a tight game. I don't doubt FSU is going to chalk the rest of the ACC and, depending on how Stanford handles Oregon, might play at the BCS Championship game.

If OU somehow manages to finish the rest of the season undefeated they'll make it to the Fiesta Bowl, assuming Texas loses to someone. Fingers crossed over here.

In other news, I am applying to 4 ACC schools (Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Louisville), 3 SEC schools (South Carolina, Kentucky, Ole Miss), and 2 Pac-12 schools (Colorado, Washington) for PhD studies. Could I have a personal bowl game coming up? Tune in February/March to find out!

15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you come to UW, let me know.

-Mike

16. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Casting a wide net, I see. My unsolicited two cents on the locales I've been to multiple times: I love Boulder and Charlottesville, and like the Triangle and Lexington. Not a fan of Columbia or Clemson. I've never visited the others.

17. SO, Oregon did their thing 62-38, but WSU held them to a 34-24 difference in the first half.

And in that game WSU QB Connor Halliday broke some records. His passing attempts (89 passes in this game) broke the FBS-level record of 83 set by Drew Brees for Purdue on Oct. 10, 1998. His total attempts and completions (58 in this game) also broke the Pac-12 records set by Arizona's Matt Scott last season, and his total passing yards (557 this game) set a Washington State record.

But hey - it was a balanced attack. We ran the ball 7 times!

And the Oregon D-Coordinator won the Olympic Heavyweight Crown for stupid after-game comments: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...on-dc-nick-aliotti-calls-mike-leach-low-class