1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football 2013 - Week 9

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    First, what do you all think of Dabo Sweeney's comments in this ESPN.com article? http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9863793/clemson-tigers-florida-state-seminoles-even

As for games this week....

UCLA/ORE is my game of the week. CAL/WAS will be interesting to see how UW plays the week after their historic coach passed away and this being homecoming week. Lot's of emotions in Husky Stadium Saturday night.

Dartmouth is off to a tough start, 2-3, and is hosting Columbia this weekend. The Lions haven't won a game, so maybe this is a win for Dartmouth. Go Green!

-Mike

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Mike, you know I much I dislike the FSU football program. And yet...Dabo's comments are silly and pathetic. FSU crushed them--the score really could have been even more lopsided.

This is lame excuse-making from a coach whose Clemson teams often choke in big games after putting up pretty numbers against weaker opponents.

The Gators have a bye, thank goodness, before playing in the Injury Bowl in Jax.

I'll keep an eye on a few matchups throughout the day on my phone, but probably won't watch much action on TV.

3. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm with you on Sweeney. It took me some time to form an opinion on his comments. I was sort of on his side at first, bad game, everyone has them. But FSU outperformed them up and down the field for 60 minutes.

My only hope now for the season is Florida can somehow pull out a win against FSU and put an end to the FSU BCSCG dreams.

-Mike

4. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Gator #8 is out for the season, freshman LB Jeremi Powell. The sixth Gator lost due to an ACL injury this season.

-Mike

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    OU hosts Texas Tech this weekend. Suffice it to say I'm relieved we're facing a pass-heavy team, since Stoops's secondary is rock solid. I just hope they can resolve their QB situation soon. It's definitely going to be my game to watch this weekend. Aside from that, Baylor travels to Kansas (and I'm sure my Jayhawks are counting down the minutes until basketball season), OK State goes to Iowa State, West Virginia goes to Kansas State, and Texas goes to TCU.

Texas-TCU should do a pretty good job at mimicking an SEC game - two power run teams with stout defenses. For obvious reasons I'm rooting for TCU (just don't tell my girlfriend :bag: )

S.Car-Mizzou should be interesting and will really show if Mizzou is the real deal this year. Vanderbilt has also been surprising this season and has the potential to pull the upset on A&M.

UCLA-Oregon should be a pretty good one and I'm hoping the Bruins pull the upset. As high-powered as Oregon's offense is I don't think they'd be able to stop anyone else in the top 10 if they were to face one of them on the big stage in January.

Boise State-BYU could be one of those "two mediocre teams who are evenly matched so it'll be good" games.

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh yeah, I'll keep an eye on the Texas/TCU game. I forgot about that one.

I agree on BSU/BYU. It will be a fun to watch Thursday night.

-Mike

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    With the Big XII's current state it's easy to forget about this season until Baylor-Texas Tech :meh:

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I think it was lame for Sweeney to say that, but I think he's probably not too far off in thinking it. I don't know that I'm certain that FSU is that much better than Clemson. I don't know if the game's outcome was related more to Clemson just having a bad day or if it was a poor game plan on the coaches part. Either way, that falls on the coaches, so it was stupid for Sweeney to say that. He's been known to have diarrhea of the mouth in the past though.