1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football 2018 Week 10

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gaolee, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Week 10 fer chrissakes! What happened? Washington is out of the rankings, and for good reason. Washington State is top ten. Washington plays Stanford. I may be a partisan, but I can see a fourth Husky loss coming up if they don't turn around the offense. I hope they don't stink up the place again against Stanford. More than half of the top 25 who played last week lost, so at least there's that. It's college football.

More important - the titans of the Ivy League clash this coming weekend. Undefeated Dartmouth plays undefeated Princeton. The rumbles will be heard all the way to Alabama, who wish they could compete with those two. The entire FBS world is grateful that Dartmouth and Princeton are FCS and don't play post-season anyway. Yale plays Brown in what's probably a meh-bowl. Same with Harvard and Columbia.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Go Big Green.
    I'm loving the ride this season.
    Thanks to the rest of y'all for keeping me updated on the big time college games as I continue pouting about Urban Meyer.

-Mike

Gaolee likes this.
  3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Last time the AP rankings matter. The first CFP poll is released on Tuesday, but until then....

1. Alabama (all 60 FPVs)
    2. Clemson
    3. Notre Dame
    4. LSU
    5. Michigan
    6. Georgia (+1)
    7. Oklahoma (+1)
    8. Ohio State(+3)
    9. UCF (+1)
    10. Washington State (+4)
    11. Kentucky (+1)
    12. West Virginia (+1)
    13. Florida (-4)
    14. Penn State (+3)
    15. Texas (-9!)
    16. Utah (+7)
    17. Houston (+NR)
    18. Utah State (+NR)
    19. Iowa (-1)
    20. Fresno State N(+NR)
    21. Mississippi State (+NR)
    22. Syracuse (+NR)
    23. Virginia (+NR)
    24. Boston College (+NR)
    25. Texas A&M (-9!)

Texas losing all but eliminates the entire Big 12 from making the playoffs unless Michigan, Notre Dame, and tOSU all lose and Oklahoma wins out. Suffice it to say I'm not going to hold my breath.

A&M has to roll into Auburn this weekend and after the showing in Starkville my optimism is not quite as strong. But hey, Jimbo's doing better than I thought he would, especially with Mond. As long as he makes it to a bowl game and wins I'll call this season a success.

Oklahoma rolls into Lubbock without Baker Mayfield, so now the Red Raiders don't have a reason to act like jerks to the Sooners after we whoop them ;)

And FSU just.....

giphy.

Hopefully they can at least beat the spread against NC State

MJ5150 likes this.
  4. Gaolee

The Pac 12 is even farther out. Washington State is 10, but even if they win out, I can't imagine getting past enough teams to make the playoff.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm delighted with the Cougs beating Stanford (via a field goal when they got the ball with 1:25 to go, and kicked the FG with 19 seconds left.) Since Cal beat the dawgz, now I'm seriously wondering about next weekend for Wazzu at Cal.

But it really looks like the Apple Cup will be a national TV game this year - it's likely to be a real biggie.

That said, I really don't care if Wazzu gets into the Hoopty-Damn-Doo "National Championship" four. My dream of a successful season is very specific: Rose Bowl. Yes, I'm an old dude, but I want to win a Rose Bowl again. We're 1-2 in that game.

I'm tired to death of Bama, Bama, Bama, and the three dwarves. I don't care about Urban Meyer or OhHowIHateOhio State. I'm confident that east coast teams will fill it. Big, fat, hairy deal. You can keep it. When it expands to 8 or 16 teams, maybe it will matter more to me.

I'll be glad to travel to CA for the Rose Bowl, and I hope we get there.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    FilterFunk, Gaolee and BioDriver like this.
  6. Gaolee

Corrected. The thundering Ivies are the big time.

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    In your world and mine. I don't think anyone else here cares about the games though.

-Mike

Gaolee likes this.
  9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

GregC likes this.
  10. Gaolee

What? Is there any other world?

11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    As a fellow "old dude," I can relate somewhat.

USC won the 2004 Rose Bowl 28-14 over Michigan to secure the 2003 AP national championship and cap a 12-1 season.
    USC won the 2005 Orange Bowl 55-19 over Oklahoma to win the undisputed 2004 national championship and cap a 13-0 season.

Guess which game meant the most to me. Yep...USC-Michigan in the Rose Bowl! Give me an old-school classic Rose Bowl match-up any day!:hyper::woot:

Pilgrim and Gaolee like this.
  12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Maybe he'll show up on Bama's doorstep when Saban retires.

-Mike

GregC and Funky Ghost like this.
  13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  14. Pilgrim

The best game I've ever seen was the 1998 Rose Bowl with Washington State and Michigan. I was there for that game. That was the one Ryan Leaf played in. WSU got the ball on their own 7-yard line with about 21 seconds left, down 5 points. They went flying down the field with a 46-yard pass and a shorter pass play, reaching Michigan's 16-yard line, snapped and spiked the ball with :02 showing, and the clock ran out before the whistle sounded. There's not a Michigan fan in the world that would give WSU another 2 seconds, because Leaf was about to drill a hole through somebody in the end zone on the next play.

That call is still disputed, and if you look at the end of the game on YouTube, there was one second on the clock when the ball was spiked. Today there almost certainly would have been one more play after review.

That game was a classic example of "we never beaten, we just ran out of time." That Rose Bowl was a real classic. As icing on the cake, the play-by man was Keith Jackson, a lifelong and dedicated WSU Cougar, and the color man was Bob Griese, the father of the Michigan QB.

Until the championship alliance messed it up, the Rose Bowl was ALL the cookies for the PAC-12 and the Big 10. It still is to many of us.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    FilterFunk and Gaolee like this.
  15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hmmm, best college football game I've ever been to.
    My first Ivy League game was Brown at Dartmouth. I'll never forget it, going with my son and wife.
    The 2009 SECCG was a great experience, even though Florida was blown out.
    Florida at LSU in 2009. That was my first experience in Death Valley, which in my opinion is unmatched for the ultimate college football experience. I've been to a lot of college football stadiums, and nothing compares to a night game in Death Valley.
    The 1992 Rose Bowl between UW and Michigan sits high on my list as well. Probably my favorite overall.

-Mike

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Gaolee likes this.
  16. Pilgrim

About memorable games.... (I'm asking Gaolee, who is a gentlemen and a valued opponent, to forgive me for bringing up this one...)

In 2008 the Cougs hosted the Apple Cup in Pullman. Both teams were TERRIBLE, in competition for the worst in the country. The Dawgs were 0-10 coming into the game, and Wazzu was 1-9. The Apple Cup that year had no significance other than determining which team was more awful.

However, the Cougs had one win, and the Dawgz had none. The opportunity was either for WSU to officially crown their opponent the worst team in D-1 football, or for the Dawgz to salvage a vestige of honor with a single win over their rival.

The Dawgz led for the entire game, up 10-0 until third quarter, when Wazzu scored a TD. We were still trailing 10-7 up to the end of the game, but as the game clock went to zero seconds, a Cougar field goal salied through the uprights to tie the game at 10. In the first overtime, each team kicked a field goal. In the second overtime, the Dawgz missed their field goal attempt, and the Cougs made theirs. Final score: WSU 16, UW 13.

10,000 of my close personal friends and I met in the middle of the field in a giant happy mosh pit. The season was a total stinker, but the euphoria of sticking the Dawgz with the label of worst D-1 team in the country was so profound that it still hits me as I type this.

Sometimes the only thing you can salvage from a season is that your most fierce rival is a bit worse than you are.

By the way, to give UW proper credit, we have won only one Apple Cup since then. But that was one of the sweetest in memory.

Gaolee likes this.
  17. Gaolee

Leave it to a proper Coug to bring that up! Yes, that was a painful one on this side of the state. It wasn't as bad as the losing streak to the Ducks. That was far more painful, partly because it lasted so long and Duck fans are such a pain in the butt, partly because it wasn't over in a year. I would rather the Huskies lost to the Cougs than to the Ducks. Cougs are generally civil and good natured. Duck fans generally are neither.

Pilgrim likes this.
  18. Pilgrim

We can easily agree that the Ducks should be beaten at all times!!

Gaolee and BioDriver like this.
  19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    First CFP ranking is out and it's..... interesting.

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. LSU
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Michigan
    6. Georgia
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Washington State
    9. Kentucky
    10. Ohio State
    11. Florida
    12. UCF
    13. West Virginia
    14. Penn State
    15. Utah
    16. Iowa
    17. Texas
    18. Mississippi State
    19. Syracuse
    20. Texas A&M
    21. NC State
    22. Boston College
    23. Fresno State
    24. Iowa State
    25. Virginia

A few takeaways....

A. ESPN owns the SEC Network and controls the CFP. I'm honestly surprised they didn't put LSU at #2 so this weekend's game would be a Top Two team College Gameday in the SEC <crude naughty no-no words>-fest. Speaking of corporate interests controlling things....

B. A LOT of teams are ranked higher than they should be to appease their very large, viewership-generating fanbases (I'm looking at you, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, and Texas A&M). This will obviously shake out as the weeks go on, but this ranking is going to generate a whole helluva lot of money for ESPN across their various networks and partnerships.

C. UCF is getting screwed. At they very least they should be above Florida.

D. Seriously, who loses to Purdue by 4 touchdowns at home and stays in the top 10?! Oklahoma dropped harder after they lost to Texas during their neutral-site rivalry game while almost staging a comeback!

Gaolee and FilterFunk like this.
  20. Gaolee

I'm happy to see Washington State up there at 8. I want to see them win out, with the exception of one game.

Pilgrim likes this.