1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football 2018 Week 12

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gaolee, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

The real football season is winding down, and Harvard plays Yale. Nothing else matters that much. Chances are that a nightclub in Boston won't burn down after a BC game, either. Only a hopeless building code geek will know what that means.

Washington didn't play, so they didn't lose, and they went up in the rankings. Oregon State is up this week. They should be as healthy as they have been all year, which hasn't been particularly healthy. Cal is beginning to look like they could be pretty tough next year. It's a little late this season, but they are really coming on. They play Stanford this week. They could beat Stanford. I would like to see UCLA beat USC just on general principles. It probably won't happen. Oregon needs to lose but that's a weekly general principle.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, it's the last game of the year for Dartmouth Saturday at home against Brown.
    Brown isn't having a good year, so you'd think the Dartmouth senior class goes out winners.

-Mike

3. GregC likes this.
  4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    UF is playing...Idaho, the second and final cupcake of the season. If this isn't a beatdown, something is very wrong.

MJ5150 and Pilgrim like this.
  5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    After a very boring 3 hours of no defense, Oklahoma got stupid lucky with a win against OK State and hosts Kansas next week. This should be another high scoring game that I have zero interest in. My brother-in-law went to Kansas and has already sent me the annual "Just wait until conference basketball" text.

A&M, needing their own pile of luck to beat a weak Ole Miss squad, hosts a UAB team that is on the rise and not looking like the cupcake they were a few years back when we scheduled them. And fun fact - UAB was almost Jimbo's first head coaching gig after working for Saban at LSU: On Saturday, Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher will coach against the surging UAB program he once envisioned creating

And after a thorough pounding from Touchdown Jesus, FSU gets to host Boston College, who will probably stonewall Francois more than he's already doing himself (even if the BC defense isn't as wicked stahwt as it's been in years past).

AKA this was the perfect weekend for Ms. Diver and I to plan a weekend away before the madness that comes with Thanksgiving.

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't wear the wrong coat on Major Applewhite's sideline.

-Mike

7. Gaolee

So you would expect. It's never a given in the Ivies, but this one is pretty close.

Stanford-Cal could be really interesting this year. Cal seems to have discovered how to play defense recently, and Stanford is staggering a little. Neither has been outstanding on offense. If any game ends up 3-0 in this era, it could be this one. 2-0 would be great. Odds of that aren't great. Other than that game, Washington because I'm a hopeless homer, and the Ivies, there sure are a lot of games I just flat don't care much about this weekend. I have stuff going on Saturday afternoon, which means I'll miss most or all of the Washington-Oregon State game. It's another trap for Washington. They have a bad habit of falling into traps lately. Maybe they just aren't that good this year, in spite of themselves. Too much reading about how great they are supposed to be.

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The Dartmouth senior class goes out winners after beating Brown by six TD's.

-Mike

9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Oh, well...now it's either beat Notre Dame or the season is a total loss for my Trojans.

I must say this, though...love or hate USC or UCLA, seeing the cardinal and gold vs. the sky-blue and gold on the field is always classic!

P.S. Is this cupcake week in the SEC? I thought these kinds of matchups are only supposed to happen in early September:

10. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I heard an interesting conversation on Fox sports radio one night last week about how we'll see more of those games since the CFP committee has made it clear they value wins over anything else.
    Teams will be increasingly unlikely to play tougher opponents since a win will do little to improve their position while a loss could eliminate them from consideration.

-Mike

FilterFunk likes this.
  11. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Interesting indeed...

Also interesting - Les Miles possibly going to Kansas.

MJ5150 likes this.
  12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If that goes down, I'll pay attention to Jayhawk football. I've always liked Miles.

-Mike

GregC and FilterFunk like this.
  13. One of the most heartbreaking finishes I've ever seen today, Colorado State vs. Utah State. CSU has had a terrible season and are 3-7, but they've played dead even with ranked Utah State, on a field that's 20 degrees with continual freezing rain. Utah State was favored by 28 but they have never led by more than 7 points.

CSU gets the ball with less than a minute, down 24-29. They just took the lead at 1:36, but then Utah State scored quickly and kicked off with 43 seconds left.

CSU makes a few plays, get a 15-yard penalty, and they're on the 34 with 8 seconds remaining. One play left. CSU throws the classic Hail Mary, and wonder of wonders - it's CAUGHT in the end zone with zeroes on the clock.

Team goes wild celebrating, fans rejoice. Score is 30-29! There is a ray of light in the season!

After 30 seconds of celebration, someone notices there is a flag. The receiver stepped out of bounds on the way to the end zone. We see the replay, and there's no question, at least one step is clearly out of bounds, and he wasn't pushed out. He couldn't legally catch a pass.

Score comes off the board, Utah State wins by 5, 29-24. There is no joy at CSU tonight.

Dangit. Those guys earned a better end to this game, but one step blew it.

Now I'm sitting in front of a fireplace waiting for the WSU-Arizona game, and hoping it goes well for the Cougs and the Mississippi Moustache.

14. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    This is typically a cupcake week in the SEC, as rivalry week is next week. Some conferences/teams front-load the cupcakes, playing as many as 3 in September, but the SEC tends to start its conference play earlier than most. I would sort of like to see the SEC go to 9 conference games. OTOH, in addition to their conference games, a number of SEC teams have in-state rivals in other Power 5 conferences that they play every year--UF/FSU, Georgia/Georgia Tech, South Carolina/Clemson, Kentucky/Louisville. This doesn't seem to be the case in the Big Ten, Big 12, or Pac 12, which makes sense since the South has more major programs.

In addition, Bama, Auburn, and LSU have done a pretty good job of scheduling solid nonconference opponents in September; Bama seems to have a good opening opponent every year--Louisville ended up stinking this year, but they've also opened with FSU, West Virginia, and Wisconsin the past few years.

As a side note, Idaho was an FBS school when they were supposed to play UF in 2014, but that game was wiped out by torrential rains and lightning (exactly one play occurred, a long kickoff return by UF). So they rescheduled for 2018, and Idaho is now an FCS program.

MJ5150 and FilterFunk like this.
  15. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    MJ5150 likes this.
  16. Gaolee

MJ5150 and GregC like this.
  17. Gaolee

That will suck. I would rather see a team play tough opponents and lose one or two than a string of nobodies. To heck with the championship. It would be even more reason to pay attention to the Ivies.

MJ5150 likes this.
  18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    GregC likes this.
  19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wait... FSU actually beat a ranked ACC team this year?!

1p9y4m.

20. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking the SEC for it; I just thought it was unusual.

GregC likes this.