1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football 2018 Week 14

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gaolee, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

There are more games than I thought there would be this weekend. Championship games, of course, and the postponed game between Stanford and Cal. Other than that, there's a bunch. Akron at South Carolina? What's that about?

All I really care about this coming weekend is Utah-Washington. Utah always plays well enough to make Washington sweat. It's only a matter of time before something breaks unless Washington plays better than they usually do against Utah. The Huskies have not been to the Rose Bowl for a very long time, so this means a lot to them. I assume they will play Ohio State. As satisfying as it would be, I don't see Northwestern beating Ohio State.

Stanford-Cal will be a slug fest. Cal is figuring things out in a way they haven't for a long time, and Stanford is having an up and down year. Cal could win this one.

Week 15 is Army-Navy. No point in a thread about only that game. We may as well discuss it here, if anybody is so inclined. Navy won a bunch in a row. Army seems like they are set to return the favor now.

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oklahoma-Texas 2: Electric Boogaloo should be.... interesting. Oklahoma's offense has gotten nastier and is #2 in the nation (behind Alabama) while their defense has become one of the worst among BCS teams. Texas's offense has gotten more conservative but their D has gotten stouter, so as someone who's seen the "good offense vs good defense" matchup more times than I can count, I'm bracing for a loss. The only silver lining is that OU is recruiting pretty hard on defense in both high school prospects and at the DC level, and the athletic department is willing to write an A&M-sized check to make amends for the 10 years of Mike Stoops's failings.

Bama-Georgia is going to be interesting as well from a playoff perspective. If UGA wins they're obviously in, but what will the CFP/ESPN do with their favorite child, Nick Saban? I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them again in the CFP with a potential rematch.

The ACC game is going to be a bloodbath

But to me the most fun one of the bunch is going to be the B1G championship. Much like Bama, ESPN and the CFP freaking love the Butteyes and will do whatever they can to get them in the playoffs. Assuming, of course, they beat Northwestern. AKA "the school with a well documented history of winning games they shouldn't and playing spoiler more times than we can shake a stick at." (Come to think of it, so does TCU and they both wear black and purple.... Note to self, alway wear black and purple) If Northwestern upsets anOSU that will throw quite the wrench into things and make me laugh hysterically.

My predictions:
    Utah < Washington
    Texas
    > Oklahoma
    Memphis < UCF
    Bama
    > UGA
    NWern < tOSU
    Clemson
    > Pitt

with the CFP being, in order, Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State

What I WANT to happen....
    Utah > UW
    Texas < Oklahoma
    Memphis < UCF
    Bama < UGA
    NWern
    > anOSU
    Clemson > Pitt (I really don't care about this, since the Texans always seem to draft heavily out of Clemson)

This would mean the CFP would likely be Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, Alabama, with my 2 alma maters, Oklahoma and A&M, duking it out in the Sugar Bowl. If Texas wins, though, it'd be Texas A&M-Texas, and all of Texas, myself included, would LOVE to watch that (plus it would make so much money. SO. MUCH. MONEY).

As for Navy-Army, my brother is active-duty Navy and I tried getting into Naval OCS, so I'll definitely be rooting for the Midshipmen. However, the pendulum for that game is swinging the other way and I think Army's going to stomp them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    GregC likes this.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd like to watch Texas/Oklahoma and Georgia/Alabama.
    I hope the Huskies win, and will probably end up watching that game Friday night. Although anything other than Ivy League or high school football on Friday night feels odd.

-Mike

Gaolee likes this.
  4. Gaolee

Even Ivy League football on Friday night is just wrong. I probably won't watch the Pac-12 championship because I'll be out making low frequency noise, but I'll probably listen to what's left or the postgame on the way home. I'll probably be the last interested person in Seattle to know what happened.

The latest crazy rumor about Mike Leach is that he may be headed to Texas Tech. I'm not sure I believe it, but this is Mike Leach who is anything but predictable.

5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Until you go to a game and check it out. Then you'll realize just how great it is.
    It will probably never happen, but maybe someday you and I can check out a game in Hanover on a Friday night. Then you'll know what I mean.

-Mike

BioDriver and Gaolee like this.
  6. Gaolee

Sounds like a plan to work toward.

BioDriver likes this.
  7. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I hear that. I didn’t go to an Ivy school, but I still want to attend Harvard-Yale at some point.

MJ5150 and Gaolee like this.
  8. I honestly don't think Leach is going anywhere, but NO WAY is he stupid enough to stick his head back in that political snake pit in Lubbock, which is one of the least lovable locations in the US.

In Pullman, he's at least a minor god. People love him, and the university supports him. Also, it's a great place to live with excellent climate and attractive surroundings.

The guy stayed in that armpit at Lubbock for 10 years. Compared to that, Pullman is the Garden of Eden.

I don't know if Friday night football is wrong, but it absolutely screws up traffic and classes on campus. This year Colorado State had its first Friday night game. Since the stadium is right on campus, it meant moving cars off campus the night before, and clearing all cars from campus for game parking by 3 PM, canceling a bunch of Friday afternoon classes, and pissed off faculty. (Who immediately start bitching about how athletics is more important than anything, harrumph, harrumph, rather than just managing their Friday class to eliminate the need for students to sit in chairs and get lectured to.)

The other thing that Friday games do is reduce fan attendance because not many people can take time off from work to attend. Maybe if you're in a major metro area that leaves enough fans to attend, but not in areas outside metro locations.

Gaolee likes this.
  9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  10. Gaolee

Any Ivy game is worth the price of admission. You never know what will happen, because the players really are going to classes, taking serious tests, and then thinking about things like medical school. Not all of them, of course, but enough that they don't make football their main occupation. It's a little like going back in time to the 1940s or 1950s, only without some of the downsides like segregation.

BioDriver likes this.
  11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hanover, New Hampshire is not a major metro area. About 12,000 people live there. I am not sure what percentage of that is Dartmouth students.
    Then again, football in Hanover is different. Not in a 'we're better than you' way, or in a bad way. Just different. No tailgating before or after games, no rabid fans.
    Most of the people who went to games were family and friends of the players, then students and locals. Always a decent visiting crowd.
    The town was small enough that most people knew each other. A large number of alums attend games too, which is not unusual across the country.
    I'm mostly failing to describe the experience and environment, but I'm trying.
    It is unique and special enough for me that I travel back to NH to go to a couple games, and catch the mens and womens hockey teams too while we're there.

-Mike

12. Unique is cool, and so is special. As per the definition of "unique", not true in general. But how wonderful for those in that situation!

I'm happy for those who appreciate their games, whether high school, Ivy, or whatever. Having grown up in the PAC-8, then lived for years in Big 12 country, I find it challenging even to get excited about CSU in the Mountain West, much less smaller or more distant schools. I played high school football and never really cared about it. Still don't. My daughters played varsity softball in high school, so I never missed a game...but I never went to one of their school's football games.

And I'm sure that the folks at Bama, Clemson and similar schools don't care about any of us. Not a problem for me, I just like what I like, they like what they like.

13. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
  14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Now, now. Unique in my scope of experience. Not necessarily by the textbook definition.
    I've been to college football games in some of the most storied stadiums in the country and championship games with more than 100,000 people in attendance. It's great, it's awesome, a truly cool experience from pregame tailgating to the walk home after the game is over.
    Would I pick a Friday night game in Hanover over the Rose Bowl game or the SECCG? No. Over a game in The Swamp or LSU's Death Valley? Maybe and probably at this point in my life.
    Also at this point in my life I am no longer facing decisions like that, so games in Hanover are what I would prefer.

-Mike

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    South Carolina/Akron is a makeup game of sorts. SC was scheduled to play Marshall in September, but that game got cancelled due to Hurricane Florence. SC already has six wins, so it's not about picking up a cheap win to get into a bowl--unlike FSU playing Louisiana Monroe the first week of December last year after their September matchup was cancelled due to weather.

16. Gaolee

And before I forget, @Pilgrim is a fantastic human. I am not sure who that fleabag of a large cat who was calling himself Pilgrim last week might have been.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  17. Gaolee

Last night's Pac-12 championship sounds like a real stinker of a game. Glad I was busy and didn't watch.

GregC likes this.
  18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It was, and I like low scoring defensive games.

-Mike

GregC likes this.
  19. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wow Tide. That was impressive.

-Mike

FilterFunk likes this.
  20. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Yeah...pretty cool to have a national title-winning QB as your backup!

GregC, Gaolee and MJ5150 like this.