NCAA Football 2018 Week 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gaolee, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Still no Ivy League football. We have to wait another week until real college football starts. The rest of it descends into splater world, as far as I'm concerned. UW plays somebody or another, and if the fourth string isn't in the game by halftime, it's a failure. I'm only being a little bit facetious, too.

Rankings for the week haven't come out. Washington will drop, Auburn will rise, and a few others will get scrambled around. I never thought I would root for Auburn, but after last Saturday, that's what's going to happen for the rest of the season. College football loyalties make for some strange behavior.

MJ5150 likes this.
  2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Sometimes it sucks being right.

Michigan failed to give Shea any time to throw, although his final stat line looked alright 20 of 30 for 227 and 1 Int. with a 66.7 completion percentage. The telling stat though is the - 21 yards rushing - The guy was on his bike all game. They failed to open lanes to run through for Higdon as well.

The defense let the Irish score twice in rapid succession and the Irish never looked back.

Getting it's first offensive TD with 2 minutes left in the game was the fly on the cow patty. ( No cake for you! )

The team isn't horrible.

The coach isn't either.

They just lack confidence, or fire. I'm not sure.

I do wish coach would let talent evaluators into the mix instead of doing his own scouting. I think he has enough on his plate. It wont help this year but might pay off next season. If there is a next season for coach.

If Mich. let it's home opener against the Broncos become close it's going to be a one way ticket to the cellar of the B1G.

It SHOULD be 34-10 ish but my gut says 24-17 will be more in line for this team until they prove me wrong.

3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Notre Dame is being picked for the playoffs already??? Look, no disrespect to Michigan, but they're 9-9 in their last 18 games. Would any program other than ND, after finishing with three regular-season losses the prior year (including two by a total of 51 points), make this group of picks for beating a team that's been .500 for that long?

College Football Playoff picks after Week 1
    Sep 1, 2018

The season has just begun, but it's never too early to start making playoff picks. The Alabama and Clemson machines rolled on, while Auburn and Notre Dame scored impressive wins.

So, who made our lists for what the playoff would look like after the first week of games?

ESPN REPORTERS' PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS
    Name No. 1 No. 2 No. 3 No. 4
    Andrea Adelson 333.png 228.png 201.png 87.png
    Edward Aschoff 333.png 228.png 194.png 201.png
    Chris Low 333.png 228.png 2.png 87.png
    Adam Rittenberg 333.png 228.png 194.png 87.png

FilterFunk likes this.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Cougs are set up to go 3-0 after beating WYO, given San Jose State and Eastern WA come next. However, never underestimate the Cougs' ability to underestimate and opponent.

In other words, don't misunderestimate the schedule. Clear?

007586_17.jpg

5. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    And another thing...Florida being favored by 14.5 points over Kentucky is just stupid. We beat them by ONE in Lexington last year, and we were damned lucky after being down 13 in the fourth quarter. Yes, Mullen is the coach now, the game is in the Swamp this year, and Kentucky struggled for nearly three quarters against Central Michigan. Still, blowing out the spread to 14+ is crazy.

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Dammit .. they went and did something I like ... the bastiges . . .

AndyII and Gaolee like this.
  8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Wisconsin flying under the radar again. Fine by me.

I'll be at the Badger game Saturday, AND the Packer game Sunday night!

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Very cool! Especially since, as I understand it, a Packers game is the closest in spirit to a major college football game in the NFL.

mrpackerguy likes this.
  10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    it's actually better. I've been to a lot of college football games and a lot of Packer games It's 2 totally different feels. There's nothing like Camp Randall here in Madison . It's a specticle and an experience. I was at the Badger Purdue game when Ron Dayne broke the NCAA record for most rushing yards. And the UW Marching band after the game with their "5th quarter". And of course Jump Around to start the 4th quarter. Too much to mention with Packer games . A team playing in it's 100th NFL season this year. Invented the tailgate. 13 NFL Championships. Lambeau. History You name it. We've got it. The absolute cradle of the NFL.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So all the bookies seem to have Clemson a -12 favorite with an over/under of 54. I love my Aggies but if I were a betting man, I'd pick Clemson to cover the spread but the Aggies to hold them back enough to keep the points under. I say this for one reason:

ydVucH1.png

If you've never been to Kyle Field, it's loud and intimidating. Just ask Josh Rosen.

Attached Files:

• img].png
      img].png
      File size:
      182.6 KB
      Views:
    GregC likes this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Welp, Dan Mullen is not the guy in Gainesville.
    No players on that current Gator team were even alive the last time Kentucky beat Florida in a football game.
    I had high hopes for Mullen, but nope. More of the same mediocrity and lack of discipline. Don't even get me started on Franks.

-Mike

13. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    And apparently Adarius Lemons is transferring: Florida RB announces transfer 35 minutes after Kentucky loss

14. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Double post, get @ me.

Re: The Clemson-A&M """""""""""""""controversy"""""""""""""""

Is bullcrap and a red herring. Regardless of that call, A&M blew their chance to win the game in the first quarter when Daniel LaCamera shanked an easy 24-yard kick. Had he made that kick and the rest of the game played out as it did, A&M would have won 30-28, since they wouldn't have needed a two-point conversion to send the game into overtime. Do I think the refs were bad? Sure, they missed a few blatant calls, but that's every game. Clemson got away with some obvious pass interference, but A&M also got away with obvious holds.

And this is coming from someone with a degree from A&M and a chip on their shoulder directed at Clemson ("You're admitted to our PhD program nope jk we actually don't have the funding for you." Duke also did the same thing to me with my masters. Let's just say Ms. Diver being a Nole grad keeps the peace on Saturdays)

Regardless, I'm still happy with how A&M played against the nation's top defense on their second game under a new coach and radically new and complicated system. I'll be very curious to see how they do against Alabama and LSU down the stretch (can we please, PLEASE beat one Tiger team this year?). In the same vein, while Georgia basically has the SEC East handed to them on a silver platter - barring madness at the cocktail party - I still think Bama is overrated and the SEC West is more competitive this year than people want to admit.

Gaolee likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021