NCAA Football is coming!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DannyB, Jul 28, 2005.

1. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Haven't seen a thread for NCAA football nuts yet.

No real objective other than to talk some football...

Me, I'm a huge Toledo fan (was there for a couple of years)... and my hopes lie with QB Bruce Gradkowski.. man has been fantastic for a couple of seasons and in his senior year I bet he makes a run at being one of the best QB's in the nation. If you say "who", just check out a couple of the televised games UT has this season. I'm expecting a big year from the Rockets, but then again I always am..

Also grew up an Ohio State fan and they are in the top 10 in most preseason polls, so it is shaping up to be an interesting fall.

Anyone else big on NCAA football?? Let's get this going! :hyper:
  2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    My heart broke a little today at 13:00 CDT. Barry Alvarez announced that this will be his last year as head coach of the Wisconsin Badgers. He is continuing on as AD, but it ain't gonna be the same.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Born and bred Penn State fan. Yeah, I know Toledo beat PSU in 2000.

4. I grew up a huge Texas fan - but ever since I wasn't accepted into their business program I feel betrayed.

I need to pick a new team.
  5. seeing as how i go to UCF (University Central Florida), the team with the longest losing streak in the country at the current time, (i think its at about 15 or 16 games) i am not really looking forward to the upcoming season.

we did however produce daunte culpepper... but that was a long time ago. :bawl:
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yes, But I'm sure Barry will enjoy one more "tough non-conference schedule" against Milwaukee Chiropractic Institute and Illinois-Chicago Beauty institute. :D
  7. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Don't feel bad... a lot of people have beaten Penn State since then.. although I think Toledo kinda kicked off the Penn State "streak"..

I see the UCF fan... a former MAC rival for a few years. Although UCF is not too great right now, they did play great against us (read: beat us) when Culpepper was around. He was just amazing to see in person. He was as big as some of our D-Line! Wonder how UCF is looking forward to the move to C-USA. I would say over the last five years, MAC is just about to C-USA level, but at least UCF hasn't had to play Louisville every year.. yet.

What is the reason for Alvarez calling it a career? He's built some of the most impressive Offensive lines I can recall... Although it seemed like Wisconsin always had one or two holes that kept them from a chance at the title, they have been one of the more underrated teams around for years.

I can't wait for football.. Oy.. there is competitive eating on ESPN right now. Wonder if I have any good CDs laying around.
  8. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Oh, mark my words. The Badgers will NOT have a good season this year. Even with the cream-puff non-conference schedule they play. Too many seniors gone. Most of 'em "left" (mentally and emotionally) with three games to play last year.
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Toledo has a nice team this year. So does their arch-rival, BG.
    I expect to see Omar Jacobs in the NFL next year. The dude threw 41 TD's last year! I'm glad BG moved to the east. It'll be great to see a Toledo/BG MAC championship game!
  10. I'm a UGA fan myself, well I actually like the SEC. There's nothing like losing 13 out of the past 15 games against Florida. :(
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, unfortunately i go to a "football school" -- u florida.

luckily i won't be living on campus for this year's football season.

jeez, man. last year's home game against lsu was ridiculous--there were cars all over the grass in front of my dorm, as far back as they could get.

and my weekend's sleep would be interrupted by all the noise.

still, the dorms that were even closer to the stadium had it worse: one dorm actually made its students LEAVE THEIR PARKING SPOTS so that people who gave large donations to the campus could park close to the stadium. :rolleyes: and that happened every home game.

i never went to a game, and i honestly don't plan to this season. it will be interesting, though, to see if urban meyer will live up to the hype.

lol, one day at the dining hall near the stadium, which i went to because it was the closest one by my dorm, ron zook (our football coach from the last few years) was there.

and i took my pizza slice in front of him. immediately after that, i heard someone say, "after you, coach."

as i was walking away, i saw that it was zook. upon telling my roommate this, he said that i should have said to him, "looks like you lose again, zook!" (this was especially funny since this took place after we lost a few key games in a row.) yeah.
  12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i think i'm obligated to post this: :p

sorry, man, but i don't want to risk being kicked out of school. :meh:
  13. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    How intense would that be, UT-BG two weeks in a row (last regular season game is UT at BG).. I'm planning to go back home to Ohio for the game at BG... I might end up extending the vacation.. :smug:
  14. Old, long suffering but now happy 'SC Trojan now living in SEC country!

August can't get here fast enough for me!
  15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what the?

usc is now in the SEC? that...doesn't make sense, geographically.

16. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    USC has been in the SEC for some time now...... and this year, they're all stoked about their new coach.....