1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football Week 5

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr Stankface, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Auburn vs. Tennessee
    This is going to be a good matchup. Tennessee with a stout D and Auburn with a powerful offense. This game could go down to the wire but I believe in my Tigers.

24-17 Auburn. WAR EAGLE!!

Alabama vs. Kentucky
    After watching last weeks game, Bama could be the most balanced team in the country. Here's the bad thing for Kentucky. Bama's D is much more stingy than Florida's. I'd be surprised if Kentucky ever got in the endzone.

49-3 Tide

LSU vs. Georgia
    Ok so does anyone else think LSU is HIGHLY overrated? They BARELY made out with a win against Mississippi State and are ranked #4? Come on. Georgia is starting to click on offense and will show LSU that they're not a top 5 team.

Dawgs take this one 34-17

Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt
    I knew Ole Miss wasn't what they were cracked up to be. They face some decent opposition and they crumble. If they lose to Vandy (very doubtful) then I'm not going to be able to help laughing.

28-24 Rebels

Georgia Tech vs. Mississippi State
    Dan Mullen is starting to get some things to work over there. Not enough though. Just not enough.

34-21 Jackets

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I like all those picks, although I'm still undecided on the AU-UT game. It's tough to know for sure. If UT brings their "Florida" game, I think Auburn loses. If they just show up to play, I think Auburn could pull out a squeaker.

The hardest part is predicting how Chris Todd will play against a tough defense. He's never really shown that he has it in him to date. The running backs are tough, but the Auburn Oline might not have enough to create the holes against a big UT defense.

If UT had even half of an offense, I think they'd win this game for sure. The question is if they'll be able to score enough to stay in the game, even if their defense plays well. So the question is whether or not Auburn's defense can hold them? After the way Miss State managed to score, I don't know. Throw in the fact that Ball State was the first team to score in the game last week, and went on to put 30 points total on Auburn (which is more than they scored in their other 3 losses), and it just makes this one tough to call.

I HATE everything about Univ of Tennessee. I only dislike Auburn football just because I'm supposed to. This one isn't personal, but if I have to predict....

20-16 UT

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    USC 24, Cal 21.

There's no way Georgia is seventeen points better than LSU, and the Tigers actually have a kicker. LSU by ten. I also don't believe Auburn will come out of Knoxville with a win, Vols by four in a low-scoring game.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The Gators have a bye, thank goodness. Tebow has some time to heal, and all the second-guessers have two weeks to get their shots in.

Sure, LSU looks overrated--but then, doesn't everybody outside the top three?:D UGA hasn't impressed me at all. They gave up 37 points to SC, 41 to Ark and they're a play away from being 2-2. I was going to agree with steamthief, but because it's between the hedges, I'll say LSU by 7.

Bama crushes KY, no doubt. Is their defense much more stingy than UF's? I don't see it. Yes, VT is certainly better than anyone UF's played, but the Gators have only given up two TDs in 4 games and 6 ppg fewer than Bama. I'd be willing to call it a draw at this point. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the course of the season.

The Vols struggled with Ohio in a clear letdown game after their "moral victory":smug: over UF. As Jason said, do they come to play this week? And on the other side, how does Auburn do against a good defense? Too many question marks. I'll give a slight edge to the home team.

5. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Baylor lost Griffin :meh:

Sic 'em anyways!

6. Auburn, by the numbers, has better receivers, running backs, and quarterback than Tennessee. Not to mention that Auburn leads the SEC in forced turnovers (10). Let's not forget that Crompton has more interceptions (8) than touchdowns (7). Tennessee has a great D but AU managing 45 ppg is no fluke. I don't think they'll be singing rocky top this weekend.

While neither UGA nor LSU have been impressive, LSU struggled against a relatively bad Miss. State. They won't make it between the hedges.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I don't think Tebow will be in the LSU game. Brain swelling is serious business. I hope FL can pick up the win without him caue I'd hate to see their season spoiled because of this.

I don't know how much better Auburn is than UT. I think Crompton sucks, but Auburn really hasn't played a real game yet with the possible exception of WV, and that one is questionable. UT hang in their with FL, and lost a heart breaker to UCLA. That's more impressive than anything Auburn has done this season IMHO. This is a home game at Neyland. Auburn will have a tough time coming out with the win. I'm actually starting to think the UT could win by as many as 10-14 points. They've played some tough games and have had chances to make improvements based on tough opponents. Auburn's adjustments are still guesswork. To me predicting this game is as tough as predicting a season opener against two teams you haven't seen play yet. I'll enjoy watching either way, and will be able to laugh at whoever loses! :D

LSU at #4 is laughable, but it is what it is. Les is on his last legs there, so he'll do anything he can to win.

8. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Auburn has stats that are padded by three creampuffs and a West Virginia squad that lost a lot on offense to graduation. As much as everyone can't stand Kiffin, he's brought a toughness and swagger to the defense that was sorely lacking under Fulmer. I hope this game is televised on the West Coast, I think it will be a good one.

As for LSU, winners finish. Georgia's offense, especially getting the ball to AJ Green, is potent. Their D looks pourous.

9. West Virginia > Tennessee IMHO.

10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    All the SEC guys here seem to feel that Les Miles is slipping - why so? Is he losing out on the recruiting front? I really don't like LSU much, but I do respect Miles - he's a gambler, goes for it on 4th down, gives his kids a chance to make plays. I wish Pete Carroll would have taken a page from his book in the Washington game.

11. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Well yeah, he made the no-brainer move of hiring his dad!:D

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    IMHO, UCLA > Tennessee > West Virginia

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Because his team has been slipping slowly, in spite of the fact that recruiting hasn't really dropped a whole lot. He gambles a bit, but that's a double edged sword and has cost him as much as it has helped him

14. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  15. Horrible, horrible luck.

When will the Bruins on the Brazos catch a break?

16. Auburn wins........ There QB doesn't suck. UT's sucks more than anything has ever sucked before.

17. It's supposed to be the national game Saturday night....

18. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Here's a funny picture from the Bama-Arkansas game. Cody was coming in for the kill, and Mallet went down ahead of time, in fear I guess. Dunno. But Cody tries his best to avoid a late hit, so he just jumps over Mallet which is pretty amazing in and of itself. Imagine 350 pounds over your head. This was close to being the most serious QB injury of the year.

cody-leaps-over-mallett-med-almond-eaeb1d487a6179b2_medium.

20. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Pat Forde provides a fairly scathing indictment of Urban Meyer for having Tebow in the game, complete with plenty of supporting evidence of Meyer going MUCH further in previous games to run the score up and/or pad Heisman numbers. I don't mean to keep harping on this just to get at Florida in particular, but it just provides a perfect example of the potential consequences of these kinds of poor coaching decisions. I'm not sure if it's selfishness, ignorance, stupidity, overly aggressive risk taking, apathy for player health, or what, but when excessive pattern behavior is obvious and it ultimately results in a serious player injury, I think people should speak out. This kind of thing has got to stop. The only way it will happen is if fans are aware of how much it happens in many different schools, and they voice their opinions about it.

You can read it at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&page=dash0905&sportCat=ncf