1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Football Week 8

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fo shizzle, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Someone needs to take this burden from the Good Doctor this week. I do wish he would show his face so we can all stop worrying about him. Paging Dr. Stank........ You are among friends, Sir........Onward and upward------>

The mighty Horned Frogs go to Provo and announce their presence with authority. They swap spots in the BCS with Boise.

Texas handles Mizzou but it's not easy.

Alabama wins. Florida, too.

And some other teams do some stuff and things........

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Cool. I was going to create a new thread this morning if someone else hadn't done it. Come on back, Stanky! It's just football, man!

I'm not going to make any game predictions until Thursday from now on. Too much happens during the week. This weekend is going to be fun!

3. Hey! Stole my freakin' thread! I was going to make one this morning. I simply just haven't had time the last two days to do it. It's been crazy down here!

Now about Saturday. I'll give you the most interesting stat of the game. ZERO penalties. Georgia had a right to complain about penalties a few weeks ago. This week it's Auburn's turn. I was at the game about 23 rows up. There was a handful of pass interference calls that weren't made. The biggest one was on Kentucky's last scoring drive. They broke out for a huge run and what made that all possible was a couple of HUGE blocks in the back. The entire stadium was infuriated. Oh and it didn't help that the Chris Todd from last season showed up. I hope this was a big reality check for my Tigers. I think they can step it up this weekend. Here's a pic from the game from my phone.

[​IMG]

So on to my predictions...

Auburn vs. LSU
    So things aren't looking great for my Tigers. Lackluster performance last week against a team that is really not a better team. If Auburn plays like they did in the beginning of the season, they have a serious shot in this game. If they don't, it'll be a long drive back to the Plains. What really worries me is that it's in Death Valley at night. Nobody comes out of there with a win in that situation without fighting for it. I know i'll be alone in this pick but do you honestly expect me to pick my team to lose?? :p

Auburn wins in the clutch 24-21. WAR EAGLE!!!

Alabama vs. Tennessee
    Greg McElroy has not been on top of his game lately. Tennessee has not had a game lately. While I do think that they'll put up more of a fight than South Carolina, they're still simply not good enough to come out with a win.

27-13 Tide.

Arkansas vs. Ole Miss
    Does anyone think that Ryan Mallet will be drafted higher than Jevon Snead? I sure do.

38-20 Razorbacks

Florida vs. Mississippi State
    So I'm starting to be a bit more skeptical about Florida myself. If Tebow wants to win the Heisman then he needs to do more. Honestly though, and you make think i'm crazy, I think Miss State stands a better chance than LSU did. Why you ask? Dan Mullen. He knows how that team works and will use it to his advantage. Although I don't think they have the sheer talent to do it.

31-21 Gators

4. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I didn't watch all of the Auburn game, so I can't comment on the officiating. There have been no official statements about that game. I do know that it was horrible for the Florida-Arkansas game, and the SEC has admitted that it botched some serious calls again, and it defintely could have changed the outcome of the game considering that Florida was just barely able to take the lead in the last few seconds. I won't go so far as to say that the Ref's gave the game to the Gators, but they were certainly a big part of it.

This has just gotten ridiculous. The SEC is the best conference in the nation, with more money than the others as well. I don't know why we can't fix this problem. At least it's getting national attention which will force them to do something about it. It might be next season before it gets better. I just hope there aren't any other huge blunders this year.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Regarding UF/Arkansas, the SEC admitted to botching a single call, not multiple ones.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4577932
    And I agree, it was a bad call. But it would be a stretch to say it definitely changed the outcome of the game. The call occurred on first down at the Arkansas 21--without it, the Gators would've had 2nd-and-9 at the Arkansas 20, and they ran the ball four times for 41 yards on that drive. So they got 10 yards from the call (half the distance) when they were averaging 10 yards per rush. Obviously, I can't say for sure they would've scored a TD, but they were moving the ball very effectively. There was also a pass interference call on that drive, but that was totally legit in my eyes. That saved Arkansas giving up a touchdown right there.

More broadly, I agree all the way that it's been a bad year for SEC officiating and it's hard to understand why this issue exists.

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Agreed, it's hard to know. But 10 free yards inside the redzone is huge. It's completely common for a defense to allow long drives down the field, and then stop teams from scoring a touchdown once they get just inside the 20. This kind of thing just sucks because in a close game like this, the outcome is all about capitalizing on opportunities, offensively and defensively. While everyone loves to dominate an opposing team, close games like this are what make the sport so much fun. A bad call which gives either team an undeserved edge just ruins it IMO, no matter which team you're pulling for. But it doubly sucks for Arkansas because there will always be that what-if. And when there are national championship stakes on the line, it kind of taints the big picture as well. Where would Florida be now if they hadn't of gotten that touchdown, and had last the game? Getting beat by Arkansas, with all the doubts about them, the'd likely have fallen pretty far, and it would have been a big climb out of that hole that would change the rest of the season and how we discuss the polls. Just sucks to have that kind of blemish. But most folks will forget that it happened by this coming weekend, except the Hogs.

7. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    True, 10 yards in the red zone is huge. I will point out, though, that the Gators scored on the very next play on a run from the 10 that would've gone further.;) Blemish? I don't see it, not in this situation. Those kinds of calls happen every year with teams in the running for the title, which is why they're forgotten soon after. Only truly egregious stuff like the Colorado "fifth down" becomes a real blemish.

8. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Thanks for posting your pic, Stanky, you had some great seats!

USC 28, Oregon State 23.

Based on what I've seen so far this season, I still think Alabama should be ranked higher than Florida. Texas is going down this weekend; Missouri is the best team in the Big 12 North, imho, and I think this is the week the Longhorns get exposed.

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    So Spurrier is complaining that he thinks he saw Bama's place kicker using a small piece of white tape to mark ball placement before the snap, and that he has never heard of anyone doing that. First thing I thought was he has to be joking. It's so common that it's not even funny for him to act like it isn't. So Saban finally responds and said that he hadn't noticed it happening, but he'll make sure it stops. He also said that they did some extensive review on their own, and found evidence to support his claim that it's common among many SEC schools, even South Carolina. Just Saban's way of telling Spurrier to STFU. I've never in my life seen a coach whine as much as Spurrier does.

Again this is VERY common among all teams. One theory floating around on some of the Bama forums is that Spurrier isn't so much trying to get at Saban as he is setting up his meeting with Florida. The officials will be paying close attention to all this now. Some of the "evidence" of this kind of thing being common was Florida marking the spot on several videos, and Steve is trying to take away any advantage before it happens. I have no problem with making sure these kids are following the rules, but he still just seems like a whiney little kid to me.

10. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    LOL. I saw Bama fans going off on Spurrier on the Espn boards, too. Hey, if it's against the rules, it shouldn't be done. Saban says he didn't know Tiffin was doing it. If South Carolina was doing it as he claims, then clearly Spurrier didn't know it was happening, either.

Where are you getting this tidbit about UF doing it several times? There's nothing specific in the Espn article. And if so many teams are doing it, I don't see why Spurrier would report it now to take away UF's supposed advantage--they're not playing the Gators for another three and a half weeks.

Hey, if Bama fans don't like the guy, I can understand that--but don't knock him for reporting this.

11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    These were Bama forums, not ESPN comments. There were several posts with some links to video from other games that showed what appeared to be the exact same thing as in last weeks game. The only Florida example I saw was actually from the SECCG last year.

I'm not knocking him for reporting it, except that his own school appears to be doing it as well from a video last year. There are several points here.

1) He whined in public about it, and then called the NCAA. Classic Spurrier to whine in public. He could just as easily had an assistant call and report this and it would have never gone public. He WANTS it public. Again, classic Spurrier.
    2) He knows exactly if it's legal or not. This thing is as common as anything in the game. EVERY place holder marks the spot EVERY time they go out for a field goal. It benefits the kicker, not the holder, as it gives them a mark to start moving toward before the ball is set. At the very least, it's a finger hole just in front of or behind where they will place the ball. But using grass, mud or some other kind of foreign object is as common as anything just like Saban has said. The coaches don't "coach" it since it is against the rules, but they don't necessarily discourage it either. It's hard to catch, and there's a measely 5 yard penalty if you are caught. It was stupid for Fitzgerald to be using a piece of white tape, but that's about it.

Everything else is just speculation. Some believe he just wants to cause more problems for Saban, which is odd considering he's also come to Saban's defense several times when he felt he was being blasted for nothing. So some think he's trying to help or get at Florida. Some folks believe that he doesn't want Florida to have an undefeated season with someone else at the helm, so he's trying to use this to get the officials to start taking notice and perhaps prevent Florida from winning a game down the line, against SC or not. Others think he just wants to stop Alabama from going undefeated so they might lose a game and not have the chance to upset Florida in the SECCG game.

I think all those theories are stretching it. Given Spurrier's history as a whiner, I think his motives are very plain. He just can't help himself. I don't hate the guy, but a spade is a spade.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    mississippi state puts up three field goals against the gator D. florida wins, 24-9.

i'm also looking forward to the usf/pitt game, which will likely determine the big east no. 2.

here's my schedule:

9am/whenever i wake up: usf/pitt.

12:30: uh... oklahoma/kansas or oregon/washington or penn state/michigan. uh... how about none? prime homework time for me. :D

4:30: florida/miss state.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Alright Greg.....you ready? I wish I could be there with you guys when we take down MSU.

As for me, I will be at the Texas Tech/Texas A&M game in Lubbock. I hear West Texas football is quite the spectacle.

-Mike

14. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm ready as I'm gonna be, Mike. I fly out tomorrow morning to Birmingham.:hyper:

I'm too tired to make predictions, but Brad's call sounds about right.

15. I wish we had a better game for you, Mike.

Tech may hang a hundred on the Aggies........:(

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    doing some reading today, i was surprised to find out that UF hasn't won in starkville in the last four attempts. ouch! plus, we'll likely be without spikes and two starting defensive tackles. i hope that we can contain dixon--he's a great back. i'm definitely not expecting a cake-walk.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Just like last week. I thought I heard that Trattou was out too?

No excuses here. We'll have to find a way to win. Maybe that means scoring 80 points. :D

-Mike

18. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I'm calling an upset for UT-Alabama. The last upset I called was my 3-6 high school team beating last years state champs. We won. :D

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I read that as well, and was quite surprised. I know Florida had some down years with Zook and even when Meyer first showed up, but to have lost the last 4 in Starkville is surprising.

20. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    A UT fan calling an upset over Alabama, who'da thunk it? :D You and several million other UT fans!

I'll admit. I'm worried about this game. I don't know why. We should easily take care of UT statistically, but with McElroy having two off weeks in a row, it makes me scared. The only consistent thing is our defense, and I just don't think UT can score many, if any, points on us. Surely we can score 20 points, so I still think we win. Crompton is absolutely horrible, and while Berry is good, he's not really living up to his hype this year. I can't see any reason for a UT win....yet I'm still nervous. I guess just because it's UT and I hate orange also! :D