NCBD: SVK PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Jones, Sep 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Bass Jones

Bass Jones Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    I woke up the other day and realized there was not a P-bass in the house. Ah cool, now I had a reason to hunt for used gear! I found this SVK PJ for $125 in the Guitar Center used listings. At that price I took a chance and ordered it and man, what a bargain!

There are not many SVK reviews out there so I thought I'd add one. The TLDR: if you see one of these cheap, grab it!

000000117311416-00-500x500.jpg

It arrived in perfect condition, like new. The shape is typical Fender clone but it's got kind of a quirky style with the wavy pickguard and offset fretboard dots.

IMG_8628.JPG

It doesn't seem to have any of the usual budget instrument problems. It has a nice thick finish (I don't like the thin satin finishes). Setup seems excellent for a cheap bass. Action is low but not too low and not buzzy. Fret edges are smooth. The bridge is generic but seems substantial. Tuners are no name but work fine.

IMG_8629.JPG

IMG_8630.JPG

The pickups sound great. Again, some generic cheapies I'm sure, but they sound nice and thuddy and woody like a good P-bass should!

There's not much info on them so I have no idea what wood is used but it is heavy...10 pounds. No neck dive here! The neck is narrow, 1.6" at the nut which I like. The last P I had was a chunky-necked 70s Precision and it just wasn't for me.

IMG_8632.JPG IMG_8634.JPG IMG_8636.JPG

It plays great. I thought at that price I would have to do some setup but I don't think I'll touch it. Totally happy to have a P in the house again!

stuntbass77 and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022