1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCBD! (The "c" stands for "crappy")

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bopeuph, Jan 7, 2017.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    This was a $75 purchase from Amazon. It's a "BC" or "Best Choice" brand. Seems to be in the past, it was called Sky Products or something.

It's surprisingly not bad. The neck is quite straight, the finish is nice, and it seems to hold intonation, though the new strings are still stretching like you'd expect them to right now. The strings are going to be replaced soon, anyway. I've seen reviewers say that there's only one strap button at the bottom, but this one came with a second one on the neck heel, so that was a pleasant surprise. The pickup itself doesn't sound so bad, but I've always been happy with how okay these cheap Chinese piezo electronics turn out to be.

Cons:

The action is like a mile high! Easily fixed, I'm sure. I need a new b̶r̶i̶d̶g̶e̶ nut cut anyway.
    There's an issue with the clear coat coming off at the first fret. It's pretty rough there, and I'm going to have to come up with a solution to smooth it out.
    It smells like all the shops in China--those mothballs!

All in all, it's not bad for its price!

Why did I get it?

A local contractor has been asking me for years to learn guitar for a busking gig. I ask him why, when there's plenty of guitarists around; and his response is my professionalism and reliability, combined with my versatility as a musician means he wants to keep me working and would rather put me there than go through buckets of guitarists before he finds a reliable one. I don't have the time to learn a new instrument, so my resolve was to experiment with an acoustic piccolo bass. I wanted the shortest scale I could find, this one being 30". I can't find any other basses at this scale!

I'd love to have found an acoustic tenor guitar, but I wouldn't have been able to find one at a low price range for the experiment.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017