1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD!!! And an amp question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaginwagin, Aug 6, 2012.

1. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Woo Hoo!!!

Started piecing together my first "big boy"rig rig! Picked up an SWR Workingman's 410T, 8 ohm, 400 watts. Great shape, but I couldn't really find any really feed back on it. Doesn't really matter, should be plenty for what I need right now. I am curious how old it is...

I could use some help with some advise on an amp I found. Its an SWR Basic 350. From what I've read up about it its the first year of the Bass series that had to be renamed. Anyhoo, im a little unsure about using it with the 8 ohm cab I just got. The specs are 350 @ 4 ohm, 450 @ 2. I understand I wont get the full output potential, but, is it worth using with this cab??? Im on a really tight budget and if it will work ok ill snag it for the price.

Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot!

2012-08-05_08-37-01_273.

2012-08-05_08-31-38_841.

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    8 ohm should be fine. You can always add another 8 ohm cab and drive the amp at 4 ohms later if it's not enough. Impressive that the SWR can run at 2 ohms. Must get hot as a mofo!

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Speaker sensitivity (and how many of them you have) really play a more important role that wattage. Chances are the amp will put out around 200-250 watts into 8 ohms. That should be plenty for most scenarios given the 100 db 1w/1m rating of that cab. Just know that a lot of SWR amps have a baked-in low mid scoop. You might need to add a lot of low mids to get it to sound "flat."

4. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for the input guys. I kinda figured it would be ok to "underload" the Basic... I've read pretty good stuff about it. If I fall in love with it it should pretty much run any combination of cabs I can come up with.

So, anybody have any guesses as to what year the cab is? I peeked in through the back but didn't see anything obvious. Its got celestion speakers, that's about all I could gather...