1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD - and Barefaced question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el murdoque, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Finally, my upgrade arrived today. I sold my one10 seven weeks ago and ordered a Super compact. The FedEx van pulled up my street an hour ago and my Christmas present is here :)

The first real testing will be on a gig I play on Saturday.
    IMG_20171220_133755.

From what my ears tell me at home, this cab will be able to do handle the gigs I used to carry a single Aguilar GS212 to.

But boy, I was always bad at imagining how big things are. Compared to my one10, this cab is huge!
    It is still tiny for what it does - and it is less than a third of the weight of the aggie,
    but a lot bigger than I anticipated. Which brings me to my question:
    Assuming I'll be totally stoked after the weekend because my SC delivered, I will sell both my GS212s and buy another barefaced cab to go with the SC.
    The possibilities are quite slim since I do not have a 2 ohm stable head that could fire the SC and a 4 ohm 212 cab, so I will either go with another SC or, which interests me a bit more, a Super Midget. Can anyone here comment on how a stack of SCs will sound compared to a SC/SM pairing?

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    On a sidenote:
    I ordered a cover from Thomann - of the cheapest brand I could find with the approximate size:
    PCAB112BAG Palmer MI CAB 112 BAG - Protective Cover for Palmer 1 x12" Cabinets

I don't know if Palmer is a brand that people recognize outside of Germany, but here they are known for making Products in the lower price segments. Their 112 guitar cabs that fit this cover retail around 200 bucks.

7ecfb056-04a4-4a87-9f39-71445697037c.

It fits the cab perfectly and yells 'cheap' at anyone who happens to find himself backstage, unattended and with sticky fingers.

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm considering making the same upgrade (One10 to a SC). Please let us know how it works out for you!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd love to know how the SC compares to the One 10. I had a One 10 for a while, and while it sounded good for what it was it just couldn't handle much volume without the speaker starting to destroy itself, especially on the B string. I just don't think it was designed for that, it's just a single 10 after all.....so I'd like to know how the SC compares.

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Alex wrote that the SC will be a bit louder and deliver more bass than two one10's. While I can't confirm that in a scientific way (because I never owned two one10s) I have some experience with what happens if you add an identical 2nd cab to your setup and my gut tells me this is about right.
    I initially bought the one10 because I was looking for the perfect practice setup that leaves a little room towards small gigs but stays below 10kgs in total. Since I play 5 and 6 strings, I wanted the low B to be represented well at home and the one10 checked all the boxes.
    The 'problem' (if you want to call it that) was that at louder volumes, with a lot of bass in the EQ, the one10 starts farting once you go below E. At home, with an 18W tube amp that was no problem, but with a powerful head on stage, pretty much.
    That was not the application I had in mind when I bought the one10, though.
    But I guess I was intrigued the same way as you are - such a tiny cab that puts out so much noise, I wander what comes out of the bigger ones.
    On the one10 with my Markbass head, when I set the master pot to about 40% with the EQ flat, the farting would start.
    I could get more volume by turning down the bass and compensate a bit by turning up the lower mids. Did not sound nice, but got me audible.
    On the SC, with the master pot at 50% and the bass dimed, the low B comes through no problem.
    (The vent shaft was pumping so hard, the room smelled like a carpentry ;)
    With the EQ set to normal and master at three quarters there was no sign of the cab giving in, but my room did.

So my first impression is: You get a lot of cab. Nearly the price of 2 one10s, nearly the size of 2 one10s, more output.
    This is a serious cab. When you put the Palmer guitar speaker cover on and expect to lift an open back 12" guitar cab, you'll still think it's very light. Basically still a one hand carry.

mmbongo likes this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Curiosity got the better of me and I've taken the cab to the rehearsal space.
    I made a side by side test with the SC and one Aguilar GS212.
    I rigged both cabs with a 500W head (running at 8 ohms though) and plugged into the FX returns.
    Then I set my sansamp up and ran through an a/b switch so I could change the amp with a click.
    I set both amps' master pots at 50% and played each cab a bit.
    First Impression: The GS, rigged with a horn, has a bit more sparkle around the topend.
    Both cabs had about the same volume - which did not change when I swapped the heads.
    Both felt well inside their comfort zone playing the entire tonal range of my 6 string.

I was in a well isolated place, so the next thing I did was dime the masters. I thought I'd check it out carefully and then go back to each cab's maximum and compare these. But a mere 500W head at 8 ohms is no match for either of these cabs.
    I had to move the head from the top of the Super Compact because the vibrations were too much and it started rattling like mad when I hit the lower registers, though.
    But as with the masters at half, both cabs put out the same amount of total volume, at least to my ears.

Both cabs are rated with 600W and the Aguilar has 98dB SPL while the barefaced comes a close second with 97bB.

I quote what the barefaced website has to say about the volume of the SC:
    I do consider the Aguilar GS212 a high quality 2x12" cab, and when driven to the maximum of the amps, the SC commanded the lowend. Not by much, but audible. There is just a bit more bass to be had, if you so desire.

So I plugged both cabs into one amp and set them apart as far as the cable would allow. With equal distribution from one head, I thought I could make out something. What I found out is that these cabs work together quite well.
    The barefaced gets a little more audible in the lower range and the aguilar adds the sparkle only a horn has to offer.
    They worked well together, without one dominating or one the limiting factor.

I'm genuinely impressed.

I compared a 10kg 112 cab that claims to be as loud as a good 212 cab with a
    33kg 212 cab and the came out as equals.

S-Bigbottom and Plutonium244 like this.
  7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    A BB2 or SM, with the horn, might give you the best of both worlds for high and low excellence, thus also adding the one thing the GS 212, with a horn, might have done better than the horn-less SC (for those that like that kind of thing)-- high end horn brightness. A Barefaced horn, however, can be adjusted as a crossover, whereas a typical horn only gives you level, or not, on sound above its set cut-off. Thanks for the assessment, the Barefaced cabs do a great job.

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Yeah, that was why I asked for the SM in my first post.
    At the moment, I'm a happy camper in the 'no horn needed' camp. That sparkle is easily lost in the mix anyways.
    It was just something I could clearly discern when I A/B'ed the cabs and I thought it's worth noting.

I just think that I might come across a moment in my life where I think it a good Idea to bring a cab with a horn.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  9. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Good that you're making these observations, and it IS worth noting. I agree, and there are times when I turn the horn crossover all the way up so that it all goes through the driver below, and none through the horn-- making it, more or less, an SC. Other times I have the a lot going through the horn-- but almost never do I have it ALL the way "horned". Somewhere in between is my sweet spot. For me it just depends on the situation/music/room but I like having the option to swing either way. You're right that it also depends on just preference-- some will prefer the horn bright, others won't, and that certainly affects cab choice.